Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt class >

Quilt class

Quilt class

Old 04-16-2011, 07:13 AM

My last quilt class as I vented on ,the instructor never showed up. Made myself go to the quilt class this time. Was treated especially well and she had us stay an hour longer but never refunded anyones money from the no show class before. I have one more class left and then I am going to demand my money back on that one class. What would you do????
Old 04-16-2011, 07:17 AM
np3
Power Poster

How many hours did you lose from the first class? Did anyone ask her about a make-up class? Sometimes a gentle nudge is better that a demand. IMHO
Old 04-16-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by linda701
My last quilt class as I vented on ,the instructor never showed up. Made myself go to the quilt class this time. Was treated especially well and she had us stay an hour longer but never refunded anyones money from the no show class before. I have one more class left and then I am going to demand my money back on that one class. What would you do????
How many hours was the 1st class supposed to be? If she gave you an extra hour this time, and does so again the next class, perhaps she's made up for the missed hours? I'd wait and see. Don't try to decide now.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:19 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I think, instead of "demanding" my money back , I'd probably initiate a conversation with the shop owner about the issue and learn what she knows about the incident and plans to do about it, if anything.
Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances the class participants are not privy to.
Perhaps the instructor has planned to add an hour to the next class as well to make up for the first class missed.
Perhaps others have mentioned it to the owner/teacher and there is already a plan to compensate in the works.

Catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Jan in VA
Old 04-16-2011, 07:24 AM

I have to agree with everyone, if she covers what was in the class by staying longer in the remaining classes, you will get your money's worth. It seems odd that she (or shop owner if it's at LQS) didn't make some mention of why she wasn't able to come. She may have asked someone else to make phone calls and they didn't. Best to chat about it.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:27 AM

The instructor is the owner and she owes us three hours. How's she going to make that up in one class left. Another class was mentioned and she ignored it.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 AM

I would also wait and see if the instructor made up the time on your next class. If so, then I would just let it go and not worry about getting my money back. Even though nothing has been said by the instructor, it sounds like she is trying to make the time up on the missed class. I would give her the benefit of the doubt.

Oops, didn't see your last post. In that case, I would feel another class is in order to make it up, and if she isn't willing to do that, then I would nicely request a refund for that missed class.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:52 PM

We need to keep in mind it wasn't just the missed class, but the travel time and gas as well.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I think, instead of "demanding" my money back , I'd probably initiate a conversation with the shop owner about the issue and learn what she knows about the incident and plans to do about it, if anything.
Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances the class participants are not privy to.
Perhaps the instructor has planned to add an hour to the next class as well to make up for the first class missed.
Perhaps others have mentioned it to the owner/teacher and there is already a plan to compensate in the works.

Jan in VA
I agree with Jan here. Also if you stayed an hour longer on the second class and if she was going to extend the next class an hour you would have lost only an hour of class time. It's not the ideal situation but maybe you could ask her for an hour of private time or get together with others in the class and see if she would give another hour class so everyone felt they learned what they needed from the class.

If she hasn't given a satisfactory explanation for missing the first class maybe it was a personal matter she didn't want to discuss with others. Did she apologize or try to address the issue in any meaningful way? I'm not trying to defend her behavior but there are many ways to deal with this in a kind and understanding manner that would leave all concerned feeling better about the situation.

I am sorry this happened to you but we can all tell our stories of woe in quilting classes. Instructors can also tell their own stories of what they've had to deal with....it's just so much better for everyone if you deal with this in a kind and respectful manner regardless of whether you feel she was kind or respectful or not. You did mention you felt she treated you especially well at your second class so IMHO you would be further ahead with just speaking kindly with her about the hour you missed as it will be only an actual hour you have lost if she adds an hour to your last class. Quite possibly there is a solution that would make everyone happy without creating a major ordeal.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
Originally Posted by Jan in VA

Jan in VA
I agree with Jan here. Also if you stayed an hour longer on the second class and if she was going to extend the next class an hour you would have lost only an hour of class time. It's not the ideal situation but maybe you could ask her for an hour of private time or get together with others in the class and see if she would give another hour class so everyone felt they learned what they needed from the class.

If she hasn't given a satisfactory explanation for missing the first class maybe it was a personal matter she didn't want to discuss with others. Did she apologize or try to address the issue in any meaningful way? I'm not trying to defend her behavior but there are many ways to deal with this in a kind and understanding manner that would leave all concerned feeling better about the situation.

I am sorry this happened to you but we can all tell our stories of woe in quilting classes. Instructors can also tell their own stories of what they've had to deal with....it's just so much better for everyone if you deal with this in a kind and respectful manner regardless of whether you feel she was kind or respectful or not. You did mention you felt she treated you especially well at your second class so IMHO you would be further ahead with just speaking kindly with her about the hour you missed as it will be only an actual hour you have lost if she adds an hour to your last class. Quite possibly there is a solution that would make everyone happy without creating a major ordeal.
Ah, you come to us as a civil negotiator. Maybe we should all take lessons about how to deal with these life imperfections.