Thread: Stocking Up
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 02:35 AM
Krystyna
Swap Hosts

How do I prune ? Gee I was thinking I would need about 30 to 50 plants - glad I asked! If I plant every 12 inches & only need about 10 tomato, then about 6 green peppers, 6 cukes, 6 zucchini and a little room for cutting flowers I should be set. Are green beans hard to grow? Do I have to put them on poles or are there short bean stalks? I sure miss my Pop. . . About 100' X100' should do it. What is GM?
If you have room for 30-50 plants, that would be terrific. 12" is way too close. You'll end up with blight because there's not enough air circulation. 24" is better. When you plant them, put them on their sides. Sounds crazy, but it helps develop better roots. Be sure you put in a good heavy tall stake when you plant. Those little tomato cages aren't big enough. Get some Romas and some heirlooms too. To prune, when they grow, cut off all branches growing at a 90 degree angle to the main stalk. You'll see that the leaves on these are different. They don't bear fruit and take away from the plant's strength. If you eat eggs, save the shells and crunch them up - place around the base of the plant. It will help prevent blossom rot. There is a lot of information about growing tomatoes on the internet. Do a little surfing. And watch out for those horn worms! Ugh! Disgusting!

GM=Genetically Modified

Beans are so easy to grow. You can plant bush beans or pole beans. I like to run rows of chicken wire set on stakes. I plant peas in March or April and then on the other side, pole beans in May and June. You can keep planting them as they stop bearing. It sounds like you have a lot of room to grow so have fun, but don't overdo or you'll spend every waking moment in the garden!

Zucchini - give them LOTS of room. LOTS. If you see a stem starting to wilt, cut it off fast or the whole plant will die from borers.