Old 04-17-2011, 05:10 AM
applique

Originally Posted by Katydid2
I have my fabric ... just waiting :)
Which pattern did you pick??
I am almost done a string background using bali pops. I think the horse will look great on it or on a log cabin.

Materials
A fusible (I use wonder under because it is cheaper and I use a ton of it)
Thread whatever your machine handles best (I love the 30 wt. Mettler but often use the the regular sewing weight 50 and if you use a thinner thread in the bobbin for machine quilting (Signature, bottom line etc.) use that in the bobbin.
Sharp smaller sized scissors
Sharpie extra fine point marker or sharp pencil
Parchment paper from the grocery store
Tear away stabilizer (i use wall paper liner which you can buy at Lowes for $15 per double roll)

Your machine with an applique foot. This is the foot that has a little groove in the bottom to let the stitching pass through easier and a wide space for the needle to swing from side to side in the front (zigzag). Stitch length set as close to zero as you can and still have it feed through. Stitch width not too wide or too narrow this will have to cover the edge of the fabric without being too wide and use up thread fast or too narrow and be hard to stay on and cover the edge. Now thread top and bottom and test on a piece of fabric with stabilizer underneath. Make sure it feeds through without stopping and leaving a "mountain" of thread. Use the stabilizer to guide it but don't push. You want the top thread to be pulled to the back and no bobbin thread to show on the top!! If your machine is due for a service call use this opportunity to take in the practice piece and have them show you how to adjust it so you get the desired satin stitch. Write down all the settings and if they have to adjust (tighten) the bobbin either write down the turns or have a spare set just for applique use.

Questions??

Next: practice shapes. The stitching begins!