Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 AM
LovingIzabella

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I do believe that some blocks should be outlawed...like a snowball, and a 9 patch...and there should be a set amount of the fabric sent used in the block, like about 1/2 of the F8th.
If we outlaw blocks it would be like telling beginners they cannot swap and this swap is open to all skill levels. Yes even snowballs and 9 patches can help build skills. They can teach us proper seams and how to work with HSTs comfortably before we venture in to more complex blocks. We encourage people to try new blocks in this swap but do not discourage them from doing any particular one.

As far as the amount of fabric one uses is truly up to the maker of the block. Some people will look at a block and think oh the 4" middle is perfect for their fabric and then i'll frame it with complimentary fabrics and others will use almost all of the F8. Sometimes there is too much and sometimes there is too little of someone's F8 used but that is ultimately up to who makes the blocks.

this is a great fun swap, but for first timers, there needs to be a Recommendations list to help show the patterns that work best, and a list of TO DO things before the fabrics arrive. Like pull some blenders out and wash them. If you have to buy some pick some normal colors like green, blue, yellow, brown and 1/3 yd does several blocks!
What works best for who becomes the issue. What might be right or best for one may not be for another. I could list a wide range of great blocks that I would consider great beginner blocks but others may think they are too complex or not complex enough... Whole in the Barn Door, Shoo-Fly, Churn Dash, Friendship Star.....

As far as buying "normal" colors again this is a personal preference thing. A normal color for me is orange, I know this is not the case for most people though. And buying base colors like blue, green, brown while not a bad idea who knows if they will be used or not. Everyone's color palette is so different which is one of the things that makes this swap so much fun. It encourages us all to step out of the comfort of those "safe" colors and try something maybe we normally wouldn't buy.

As for posting when fabrics arrive, I think if each person just posted an arrival UPDATE each Sunday evening that would be enough...trying to wade through 120+ pages to find INFO is hard when your time at home/on the PC is so limited!
I have no issue with a once a week update but that day could be different for everyone. So you would still need to move through postings to see items. I could start a page just for pictures of blocks for the Boom swap but as we know people comment and that pushes threads out too so...it is hard to "trim" down the number of pages.

I appreciate any and all input but I want and need everyone to remember that this swap is truly meant for ALL skill levels and aims to try and help people grow. Grow in both block skill and color selection.

Hugs
April