Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0  Sign-Ups  NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-) >

Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

Old 05-07-2011, 10:32 PM

thanks all for the suggestions. i think the essential theme here is organization and the need for it. i believe in documenting so i will record info on my spreadsheet (including notes received with blocks) instead of trying to keep all of the envelopes and pieces of paper received. posting pics to the spreadsheet is a great idea also. i have a boom swap folder set up for my pics which would contain the before and after pics of each block.

i am a boom swap newbie also so i understand the central idea here is to stay organized.

Originally Posted by montanablu
SewConnie & MsGrace have great systems :thumbup: Any of you newbies would be wise to follow their suggestions - it's way easier to start off with good habits than try to 're-train' yourself later! :-(

I am guilty of working on multiple blocks at once, simply because I'm a creature of (bad :? ) habits & am a fanatic about chain sewing. You would think thread is gas the way I hate cutting a sewn piece away from the machine :roll: :lol: BUT - to counteract that, I take my organizing one step further. In addition to how SC & MG do it, I also write a short description of each F8 as soon as it arrives along w/it's owner's name. Just an extra page behind my spreadsheet. I might jot down the pattern I might use or not - the important thing (for me) is to have a description along with all the other labeling techniques.

When the first F8s arrive, it's easy to keep up & you may wonder why we're all being so fanatical about organizing. But when you start getting 3-4 a day for days at a time...you can imagine the potential for problems :( And when you begin mailing grownup girls OUT...well, you get the picture ;-)

Good luck to all swappers! & newbies, HAVE FUN!!
:thumbup:
Old 05-08-2011, 03:57 AM

Why the need to wrap the fabrics in plastic?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:03 AM

It protects from the chance of rain or if you look in one of the other links one gal had her envelope ripped in half literally because it went through the slider at the post office.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Difergie
It helps protect the fabric. Sometimes the postal machines gnaw on the envelopes, but the plastic helps keeps the fabric from getting ruined. :)
Old 05-08-2011, 05:51 AM

I have never pressed after folding the block for mailing-do not want creases where they should not be ;-)
As far as the plastic it helps protect the fabric/block from the weather and from the postal machines...I have seen fabrics make their way home without the envies because they were wrapped in plastic and had a label on them
Yes organization is key with this swap but everyone here is also very friendly and helpful so if you find yourself confused or maybe misplaced a fabric-ask :-) We always will help.
HUgs
April
Old 05-11-2011, 09:56 AM

there are also poly mailing bags that can be used to mail fabric without the need to wrap them in plastic. you can purchase them on ebay. i receive charm packs i order from some of the quilt shops this way. they are relatively inexpensive and they are difficult to rip open. i know, i have tried to open a couple of them on my way home from the post office after receiving a package.

100 6x9 Poly Mailer Shipping Envelope Bag Self Seal
Member id: 5starshop
$7.79 Free shipping

Originally Posted by moonrise
It helps protect the fabric. Sometimes the postal machines gnaw on the envelopes, but the plastic helps keeps the fabric from getting ruined. :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-195762.jpe  
Old 05-11-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
there are also poly mailing bags that can be used to mail fabric without the need to wrap them in plastic. you can purchase them on ebay. i receive charm packs i order from some of the quilt shops this way. they are relatively inexpensive and they are difficult to rip open. i know, i have tried to open a couple of them on my way home from the post office after receiving a package.

100 6x9 Poly Mailer Shipping Envelope Bag Self Seal
Member id: 5starshop
$7.79 Free shipping

Originally Posted by moonrise
Do you think they would be flat enough to still use a regular 44 cent stamp on them?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:41 PM

i can let you know soon enough. my envelopes will be here by friday this week and i plan to mail out f8's next week. i have a scale so i can weigh to see what the diff in postage will be.