Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0  Sign-Ups  NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-) >

Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

Old 05-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
You can start posting on your name threads now :-) I create them when the lists go out so it is a little easier to track your group :-)
So glad you had so much fun in 4. and signed on again for 5.
Hugs
April
Could you explain what you mean by our name threads since I'm a newbie and never joined in before...
I am sorry-I did not even think about that! Please forgive me. When I sent your email it gave you a group name (you are in the SOUTH group) Each group now has it's own thread to post on so this one does not become overwhelming in trying to find if someone received your fabric or not.
Here are the links for the threads for the three different groups.

NORTH-http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-120542-1.htm#3168967
SOUTH-http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-120543-1.htm#3168969
EAST-http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-120544-1.htm#3168970

Hope this helps
Hugs
April
Thank you..will post on South site from this pt on...Clear now
Old 05-05-2011, 08:08 PM

A note to Boomerang newbies:

Before all of these F8s come flying your way, please come up with some way to organize them while they are in your possession. While all of this is so exciting, believe me, when they begin arriving at multiples a day, it is VERY easy to get them mixed up as to which one belongs to whom. If you accidentally send the wrong thing back to a swap partner, this incurs more postage paid on their part to correct the mistake and adds another chance for a block to be lost in the mail. I'll tell you my system and ask that other Boomerang veterans throw in their suggestions as well and hopefully the newbies will find some help in this.

My system: When I receive an F8, I immediately put it into a quart-size Ziplock bag. I label the bag on the outside with the owner's name, Board name and address. As a back-up, I also put the envelope I received the F8 in into the bag. I then add fabrics I've chosen to coordinate and a note with the name of the block I'm going to use. I zip the bag closed and it goes into a basket where I keep them in order they are received. I only remove an F8 from the bag in order to match a fabric to it or when it's time to make the block. After finishing the block, it goes right back into the same bag. I then cut off the zipper, seal the bag with tape, and put it into a small manila envelope to mail. My strict rule is that only ONE F8 may be out of its bag at a time whether I'm shopping my stash or in a store, going through pattern books, whatever. No exceptions - only one F8 at a time.

I hope this is helpful and invite other Boomerang vets to offer their suggestions as well.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by sew cornie

Before all of these F8s come flying your way, please come up with some way to organize them while they are in your possession. While all of this is so exciting, believe me, when they begin arriving at multiples a day, it is VERY easy to get them mixed up as to which one belongs to whom. If you accidentally send the wrong thing back to a swap partner, this incurs more postage paid on their part to correct the mistake and adds another chance for a block to be lost in the mail. I'll tell you my system and ask that other Boomerang veterans throw in their suggestions as well and hopefully the newbies will find some help in this.

My system: When I receive an F8, I immediately put it into a quart-size Ziplock bag. I label the bag on the outside with the owner's name, Board name and address. As a back-up, I also put the envelope I received the F8 in into the bag. I then add fabrics I've chosen to coordinate and a note with the name of the block I'm going to use. I zip the bag closed and it goes into a basket where I keep them in order they are received. I only remove an F8 from the bag in order to match a fabric to it or when it's time to make the block. After finishing the block, it goes right back into the same bag. I then cut off the zipper, seal the bag with tape, and put it into a small manila envelope to mail. My strict rule is that only ONE F8 may be out of its bag at a time whether I'm shopping my stash or in a store, going through pattern books, whatever. No exceptions - only one F8 at a time.

I hope this is helpful and invite other Boomerang vets to offer their suggestions as well.
That's a great system! :thumbup:

What I do is open up the envelopes, peek at the fabric :mrgreen: (but leave it in the envelope), and then write the board ID, group name, and date received on the front of the envelope. I also log it on my spreadsheet, and post here that it's been received. The envelopes then go into a stack in the order received ... the "oldest" ones on top.

When I start to work on the blocks, I pick up the top envelope and make that block. Only ONE F8 is allowed out of its envelope at a time. While I'm working on the block, I keep the envelope right beside me so I can be sure of who it belongs to.

As soon as the block is finished, I snap a photo of it, log it on my spreadsheet, and put the block in the mailbox to return to its Mommy. :) I discard the envelope at this time, since I no longer need it.

Then I start on the next F8.

So far, so good! :-D
Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by moonrise

That's a great system! :thumbup:

What I do is open up the envelopes, peek at the fabric :mrgreen: (but leave it in the envelope), and then write the board ID, group name, and date received on the front of the envelope. I also log it on my spreadsheet, and post here that it's been received. The envelopes then go into a stack in the order received ... the "oldest" ones on top.

When I start to work on the blocks, I pick up the top envelope and make that block. Only ONE F8 is allowed out of its envelope at a time. While I'm working on the block, I keep the envelope right beside me so I can be sure of who it belongs to.

As soon as the block is finished, I snap a photo of it, log it on my spreadsheet, and put the block in the mailbox to return to its Mommy. :) I discard the envelope at this time, since I no longer need it.

Then I start on the next F8.

So far, so good! :-D
Thanks for mentioning the spreadsheet and photos. I forgot to include those in my description. Couldn't do this without the spreadsheet, that's for sure! :D
Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 AM

Very good system.Think I'll "borrow" your idea as this is my first Boomerang swap. :-D
Old 05-06-2011, 04:58 AM

I'm a newbie...thanks for above...suggestions....When I mailed out my fabric I pinned my address label on each piece and wrote my screen name on it...so that person rec'ing knew who it belonged to...
Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 AM

Thank you for the great tips. I have a nice storage bin ready for my 1/8th and ziplock bags. I sent my 1/8ths out with a tag inside with n/a and board name and one with my preferences. Can't wait to get started.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:59 AM

SewConnie & MsGrace have great systems :thumbup: Any of you newbies would be wise to follow their suggestions - it's way easier to start off with good habits than try to 're-train' yourself later! :-(

I am guilty of working on multiple blocks at once, simply because I'm a creature of (bad :? ) habits & am a fanatic about chain sewing. You would think thread is gas the way I hate cutting a sewn piece away from the machine :roll: :lol: BUT - to counteract that, I take my organizing one step further. In addition to how SC & MG do it, I also write a short description of each F8 as soon as it arrives along w/it's owner's name. Just an extra page behind my spreadsheet. I might jot down the pattern I might use or not - the important thing (for me) is to have a description along with all the other labeling techniques.

When the first F8s arrive, it's easy to keep up & you may wonder why we're all being so fanatical about organizing. But when you start getting 3-4 a day for days at a time...you can imagine the potential for problems :( And when you begin mailing grownup girls OUT...well, you get the picture ;-)

Good luck to all swappers! & newbies, HAVE FUN!!
:thumbup:
Old 05-06-2011, 07:20 AM

I do have 1 question.
When you return the blocks, do you also return them in a legal size envelope?

Should you press it to fold it flat enough?? :?:
Old 05-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ms Grace
I do have 1 question.
When you return the blocks, do you also return them in a legal size envelope?

Should you press it to fold it flat enough?? :?:
I mail mine out in 6"x9" manila envelopes. It takes a couple of stamps but I've never had one get chewed up in the mail. The envelope is heavier paper and seems to protect well. I'd rather pay a little extra for the increased potential of a safe arrival to its new home.