Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 AM
jaciqltznok
Banned

[quote=LovingIzabella]
If we outlaw blocks it would be like telling beginners they cannot swap and this swap is open to all skill levels. We encourage people to try new blocks in this swap but do not discourage them from doing any particular one.[quote/]

I understand that all skill levels are encouraged, however we are ALL Here to help each other and if you can do a 9patch you can do a friendship star! Some times those "comfort" zones are like walls...hard to get past without a helping hand!

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
this is a great fun swap, but for first timers, there needs to be a Recommendations list to help show the patterns that work best, and a list of TO DO things before the fabrics arrive. Like pull some blenders out and wash them. If you have to buy some pick some normal colors like green, blue, yellow, brown and 1/3 yd does several blocks!
[quote=lovingIzabella]As far as buying "normal" colors again this is a personal preference thing. A normal color for me is orange, I know this is not the case for most people though. And buying base colors like blue, green, brown while not a bad idea who knows if they will be used or not. Everyone's color palette is so different which is one of the things that makes this swap so much fun. It encourages us all to step out of the comfort of those "safe" colors and try something maybe we normally wouldn't buy. [quote/]

I only listed "normal" colors that came to mind, I should have said "blenders" meaning fabrics that are easily read as a color and not as an opposing/contrasting print!

you can use a color wheel to help you shop for blenders if you do not already own any!
http://www.color-wheel-artist.com/pr...or-wheels.html

In teaching color selection I always have the students pick the 3 colors they are most comfortable with and then directly across the wheel from those colors and find the 3 contrasting colors and tell them to use those instead to help learn more color placement!

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
As for posting when fabrics arrive, I think if each person just posted an arrival UPDATE each Sunday evening that would be enough...trying to wade through 120+ pages to find INFO is hard when your time at home/on the PC is so limited!
[quote-lovingIzabella] I have no issue with a once a week update but that day could be different for everyone. [quote/]

Sunday was just a "day" suggestion, I realize that it could be a different day for each person, I am just saying that each person really only needs to post the update once a week on what ever day works for them!

[quote=lovingIzabella] I appreciate any and all input but I want and need everyone to remember that this swap is truly meant for ALL skill levels and aims to try and help people grow. Grow in both block skill and color selection.[quote/]

The way the rules read, it is like we need to post each fabric we send, each fabric we receive, pix of what we sent, pix of what we received, I for one do not have time for all of that. Also while posting all of those pix might be great for getting ideas it just as effective to post a "grouping" of the fabrics/blocks with labels if you like for reference. It is just being considerate to those who can not spend all day trying to read/see everything that gets posted.

If anyone new/old pro alike needs any assistance or has questions, I am always here to help!

I just know that this is FUN but, there are things you can do in order to make the whole process be more fun and exciting while learning a thing or two!