View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Aimee G

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
Originally Posted by Aimee G
That being said, it sounds like what your dealing with is a redirect virus. A website/platform/host gets hacked & instead of going to the website you intended, it redirects you to one (or you get a pop-up) that tells you it's scanning your computer & you have tons of bad stuff on it. Do not click on anything, if you can't get off that site, shut down your computer. Clear your cookies, clean your computer & run a scan (in safe mode) With a redirect, there's not much more you can do about it; it's usually not on your end.
I was searching [free] quilting patterns last evening and when I clicked on one, it redirected me to an ad. Tried again, same thing. I run my Webroot scan every day.
That could be several things. If you're only getting it on one site, it's unlikely that there's adware on your 'puter. If it was a blog & that blogger paid for hosting & they didn't pay their bill, the hosting company can & will put an ad in that space until the blogger ponies up the dough to get their URL back. Again, it could be a redirect virus. Or it could be that the website you tried to access belongs to a "hub", & every *so many* (I don't know the ratio) times you access a website on that hub, instead of the website, you get an ad.

If you are having a problem on more than one site it could be that your security software is letting somethings slip through. Not every program is great at catching every type of Malware. If it continues, try layering your protection. CNet has some great programs you can download for free, & they're safe as long as you actually download them from CNet (not the mirror sites) Just make sure if you do layer that the programs "play nice" together :)