Thread: Hanging Quilts
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 02:32 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterella
No, the rings will not hurt your quilt, I use them all the time, including using them on a queen size. A sleeve is another option, but, I don't always know I'm going to hang a quilt when I make it, so, I use the rings and curtain rod. If it is a wall hanging or small decorative quilt that is only to be hung, then I use a sleeve or corner pockets for doweling.
I do this too, with the corner pockets or sleeve, caught in under the binding. That way, the corner pockets need no hand sewing, just fold a square in half and machine into the corners about an 1/8" in from the edge, then the binding covers the raw edge. With the sleeve, I hem the ends, fold in half then stitch the raw edge to the top of the quilt, 1/8" in, the folded part is hand sewn to the back. Bag it up slightly, ie not tight to the quilt, then the rod won't show on the front.

Regarding the clips, I have a rather large 81" x 81" quilted door curtain hung from them - it hung for about a year in my French house and has now hung for nine months here in England and there's not a mark on it. :-D It's posted here, hanging in France http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28426-1.htm :-D