View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Phyl

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
My husbands son and daughter-in-law's children call my DH Grandpa Ben. They were told by our sweet DIL that I was NOT their grandmother and to call me by my first name. Thank God I am getting my OWN first grandchild in May and will finally called grandma!!
I feel so badly for you! Why can't a child have a bunch of Grannies? and Poppsies? They can't get too much love!
This world has sure changed and it is sad. There is so much "I have to have control over everyone."
I am blessed with four wonderful grandchildren who call me different loving things at different times.
We all started with Grandma + first name, so I was Grandma Phyllis and my daughter-in-law's mom was Grandma Lainie.
Then we went to Mama.....both of us....our grandchildren made the change. With my Jersey boys, we have been Grandma now for a couple of years but with my Florida grandchildren who are much younger, I have been Gramma, Gramma Phydus, Phydus, Bubbie, and currently....are you ready?? Babalushka! The three year old loves the silly sound to it and she smiles, ear to ear when she says it! The just two year old boy calls me Ma.
I don't care what they call me as long as we all love each other. Sometimes the older boys call me by the other grandma's name and visa versa. We both tell them that is wonderful because we know they love us all the same. Being a Grandparent is the most wonderful gift. BTW, Pops is ALWAYS Pops to all of the kids. See? Men don't change. Only women do!!! Oh, one other grandma is Nanny. She chose that and it has stuck. I play with all of them the most so they play with my name the most. I take it as a sign of love.