Old 05-01-2011, 09:01 AM
cheezythequiltmaker

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
Another good tip for remembering to turn off your iron is: I have my iron plugged into a surge protector strip. I also have a task light plugged in that is always turned on. When I turn on the surge strip the iron and lamp comes on. I know that if the lamp is on, my iron is on.
I do that too. However My mian reason for the surge protector strip is I had a embroidery sewing machine get fried by a surge after a power cut. It cos quite a bit of money to get it fixed, not to mention I was in the middle of a project with a deadline! At college when teaching I don't have my light but I do have a surge strip with individual on off stip[s so I can switch off the iron but not my computer or machine.

Something my dad always did... label your plugs. They all look the same so label them. In the Uk our plugs are big enough to lable the actual plug, in the US you may need to wrap a label round the cable and write on it with a sharpie.

Dad used to paint black ( and white) plugs with tipex ( correctionfluid) to write on. Save you un plugging something you don't want to. that's a great home tip too!!!