Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SAFETY at QUILT CAMP and Older machines updates >

SAFETY at QUILT CAMP and Older machines updates

SAFETY at QUILT CAMP and Older machines updates

Old 05-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
How nice of you to share your machines. I know (hope) that the new owners will treasure them.

Probably not much to do with safety, but LABEL everything that is yours.

(I know that's a bit hard to do with pins and needles - I wonder if someone was obsessive if they could put a dab of nail polish on each one?)

A lot of people "talk with their hands" - don't have the rotary cutter in one of them while doing so.
All of my quilting supplies are marked either with a hot pink ribbon (scissors, etc.) or hot pink nail polish. (So are all of the "in the house" tools) Keeps me from having to search his shed for my tools.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by SewMomma66
I would like to see the answers. Watching!
Me, too!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Keep the safety on rotary cutter when not using - they are VERY sharp- if you drop it- let it fall don't try to grab it and move you feet out of the way
We used to have to pay a 25 cent fine on the spot if we laid an open cutter down.

You might have a colorful large flat basket to use to hold rotary cutters when they are both being used and not being used.
Mark the handles with colorful tape to identify them.
JP
Old 05-03-2011, 05:45 AM

This is not really safety but, encourage the students to drink water during class, in covered cups of course. I read somewhere that one of the first indications of dehydration is getting sleepy.
My first quilt camp teacher would stop the class occasionally and pass around a basket of small wrapped pieces of chocolate. Really helped with concentration.
Getting up and moving around occasionally also helps with muscle aches and pains associated with sitting in one place for too long.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Barb44
Keep your fingers away from the needle. Use a stylus or some kind of stick to hold fabric close to the needle.

Take your foot completely off the pedal when not sewing. ( I don't and accidentally my foot relaxes and starts the machine.)
This statement got my attention. Since my little 6 lb. puppy (5 yr old Peke Abby) likes to sit at my feet. I couldn't figure why my machine was going crazy a few times. Then I found that she was sitting against the pedal which made it run. Now I have to take my foot & push her aside. Good thing my fingers weren't close to the needle.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:27 PM

Keep magnifiers away from the sun. You might not need this for what you are doing, however, I have a Ott light with a arm that has a magnifier and it was pointed to a south window in Arizona where we have bright sun all the time. I had a leather chair in front of the machine under the window and the magnifier burned a place in the leather chair. I was not home and am lucky it did not burn the house down.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:29 PM

Great tips and ideas. Along with getting up and moving occassionally, how about posture while at the machine. I am terrible and knew if I would sit up straight would have less problems with my back and sholders. My chiropractor always remindes me, to think of a string through you head, neck, back to your tail bone.

Thanks for doing all this for your students.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:00 PM

measure twice, cut once, close the safety mechanism on rotary cutter ANY time you are not cutting with it, watch where your pins are, no running with scissors or rotary cutters, keep fingers away from the edge of the iron on smaller pieces, relax and enjoy yourselves
Old 05-08-2011, 04:07 AM

Quilters,
Many of these are new ideas, common sense and some that we tend to forget since we've been sewing for sew long. Thank to all of you for the great comments.
Keep them coming!
I will be compiling these into a brief talk and hand out/ posters for around our space.
Again THANKS TO ALL of YOU!!!