Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Safety using old  sewing machines >

Safety using old sewing machines

Safety using old sewing machines

Old 09-12-2011, 05:45 AM

A friend mentioned she purchased a 1940s machine . When she plugged it in to check working order she got a shock. Has anyone experienced this with a machine? I purchased a old machine last week but am concerned about using it. No one in our area checks out machines. Is there an online source anyone can recommend?
Thank you!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:52 AM

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/01/...g-machine.aspx

This site also sells replacement wiring :-)
Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by 1000projects
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/01/...g-machine.aspx

This site also sells replacement wiring :-)
Perhaps they should rename that post

inspecting-electrical-wires-on-a-classic-vintage-sewing-machine-before-plugging-it-in. :mrgreen:

But it's really no joke. I still shudder (no pun intended) when I think of the one time I got a jolt plugging in a lamp. Not fun.

Thanks for posting that site.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:00 AM

We take the safety of electricity for granted, but that little shock is actually one of the better possible endings to that story. It alerted her to the fact that there's a short in the wiring - without killing her or burning her house down.

People laugh at me for being paranoid but I buy all new electrical components for my "new" machines and I either have the potted motors re-wired or I buy new repro motors for them. Jenny at sew-classic.com has everything I need and it only takes a few minutes to replace it all.

To me, this is a very small expense to avoid a fire or life-threatening shock.

When I was a little girl, I was ironing something and I went outside for just a minute to check on the little kids. When I came back in, the iron had melted onto the ironing board, burned through the cover and set the ironing board on fire. That fast!

Electricity isn't something to mess around with.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

when ever you purchase a used machine- regardless of age you should before plugging it in check the condition of the cord...machines which have been stored (sometimes in barns & garages- but even in the house) can have weather checking- can be gnawed on by rodents---any number of things.
any used electrical item can have the same issues-
before plugging anything in check the cord-
if it is in good condition the chance of getting a shock is pretty slim.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by gigi4419
A friend mentioned she purchased a 1940s machine . When she plugged it in to check working order she got a shock. Has anyone experienced this with a machine? I purchased a old machine last week but am concerned about using it. No one in our area checks out machines. Is there an online source anyone can recommend?
Thank you!
If it has been stored for any length of time, I would get a new cord just for GPs. I learned about deterioration of the cords from my job at Kirby. The older cords are made with rubber coating. Rubber breaks down if it is dried out, or old. You can not always see the damage with the naked eye, and never use a cloth covered cord! New wiring harnesses are available. Worth every dime. Please be safe. With a machine that old, I would just assume it might need repairs, and plan for it, AFTER you get new wiring.