View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 04:04 PM
annieshane

This has always worked beautifully for me. Only in rare occasions have I used the gavel. However, if necessary, I have been known to do just that. My thinking, if the adults are so rude that they don't know to keep personal conversations to absolute minimum, I don't mind embarrasing them. By the time we get to our ages, we SHOULD have learned there is a time to be respectful to the person speaking.

Originally Posted by gal288
During my career, one of my duties was running training sessions for groups of 50+. Chit chat during the meeting was always a problem until I used this method.

When I noticed someone talking, I would simply say, "Peg, do you have a question? or Peg, would you like to share your comments with the group?, or anything that would draw attention to the person talking." They will back down and sit quietly after that.

Once the group realizes that you are going to call on them, the talking stops. It's amazing how people don't want to be singled out.

After a couple of meetings, they get the message and usually the meetings run smoother from there on.

Hope this helps.