View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 11:11 PM
gzuslivz

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by gale
Originally Posted by gzuslivz
Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by Cottage Dee
(I just wonder if you are keeping the books so long that others in your library can't get them? Our library shows how many digital copies are available and some are even on waitlist. Maybe yours is different?)

That's the point of backdating my MP3....the due date is never reached on the device. The library puts the book back into circulation at the end of the rental period. Everybody wins.
In answer to the first part...

You aren't allowed to keep the books that long. In our library system, you have 1 or 2 weeks to check them out--your choice--up to 10 books at a time per card.

If they are on my computer, after the 7 days, the expire and I can no longer access them. On my Zen, I do not have that problem. I didn't even realize you could set the Zen up with a date, so there is no date on it, so there is never any expiration date.

So, the book becomes available to the people in the library.

I delete my checked out books after I finish listening to it. I didn't backdate my mp3 player--just never set a date. I didn't realize there was a place to set a date....hmmm
I disagree. I have a Sony EReader and I check out books from the library all the time. I get them for 21 days. Then they expire and disappear from my reader and computer. I never have late fees. I also can get books for free from the Sony Reader store and other places. I love my ereader.
I'm confused what you disagree about. At our library we have the option of 7 or 14 day checkout. No renewals allowed either-if we haven't finished it we have to check it out again.

as far as backdating, I like having the date correct on my device (ipod touch) so I wouldn't do that but it seems like cheating somehow...

I don't know what she is disagreeing about either. Our library is like yours, Gale. 7 day or 14 day checkouts.
Our library is 21 days. That's what I disagreed about.