Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
iPods and Sewing >

iPods and Sewing

iPods and Sewing

Old 05-05-2011, 08:03 PM

I use my Ipod all the time. It is great. I plug it into a speaker dock in the sewing room, so it gets charged at the same time. I have an 8GB Itouch. I have both music and books loaded. I only load one to two books at a time, but I like long books so each one may be 20 hours of audio.

I buy them from Audible.com. I just read the response where the writer copies the CD's into Itunes. That sound like a good idea. I might try that.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by gale
Originally Posted by gzuslivz
Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by Cottage Dee
(I just wonder if you are keeping the books so long that others in your library can't get them? Our library shows how many digital copies are available and some are even on waitlist. Maybe yours is different?)

That's the point of backdating my MP3....the due date is never reached on the device. The library puts the book back into circulation at the end of the rental period. Everybody wins.
In answer to the first part...

You aren't allowed to keep the books that long. In our library system, you have 1 or 2 weeks to check them out--your choice--up to 10 books at a time per card.

If they are on my computer, after the 7 days, the expire and I can no longer access them. On my Zen, I do not have that problem. I didn't even realize you could set the Zen up with a date, so there is no date on it, so there is never any expiration date.

So, the book becomes available to the people in the library.

I delete my checked out books after I finish listening to it. I didn't backdate my mp3 player--just never set a date. I didn't realize there was a place to set a date....hmmm
I disagree. I have a Sony EReader and I check out books from the library all the time. I get them for 21 days. Then they expire and disappear from my reader and computer. I never have late fees. I also can get books for free from the Sony Reader store and other places. I love my ereader.
I'm confused what you disagree about. At our library we have the option of 7 or 14 day checkout. No renewals allowed either-if we haven't finished it we have to check it out again.

as far as backdating, I like having the date correct on my device (ipod touch) so I wouldn't do that but it seems like cheating somehow...

I don't know what she is disagreeing about either. Our library is like yours, Gale. 7 day or 14 day checkouts.
Our library is 21 days. That's what I disagreed about.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:51 AM

All libraries are different, apparently, so I guess I don't get why there's a "disagreement". You just have a different policy at your library.

I think it's just the wording I find confusing. You don't "disagree" with what she said (which is correct for HER library) but you have a different situation with your own library. That's not really disagreeing IMO.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:34 PM

I have an Ipod Classic which holds many, many books but I store them on Itunes and listen to one at a time. I have several authors that I am collecting all their books so I will have a library that I can listen to over again in the furture, The books are unabridged and are 40 + hours long. I use them when traveling and sewing, housework etc. I have found audible is a good source. I get a free credit or book each month for a low monthly payment of $15. I also go to my online library here locally but can't always get the books I want and they are only available for 2 weeks. Would not be without mine!! I can hear all the words over my midarm machine noise when quilting. 2 thumbs up for Ipods!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 AM

Listening to the ipod is good when binding. Not sure about piecing or cutting. Although, I always have NPR on for everything, I tune them out when I have to concentrate.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:32 AM

I don't do audio books, but listen to music with earbuds. Hubby has the big iPod (160gb?) with over a weeks worth of music on it and it has hardly made a dent. I love Pandora for my iPhone though!!!! Should be able to download it on an iPod touch too. You can choose a song, group, or genre and it builds a radio station around it for you - and you can rate the songs and it will adjust your station. And on the iPhone there are brief adds every few minutes so you can listen for free (on the computer you are limited each month on how long you can listen with out a paid subscription)

And yeah! What quilting apps am I missing? :D