Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mom-6
Going to try this again.

I would recommend double stitching the handles in place before placing the zipper and stitching it.

I have also seen zippers done so that they are a short way down below the upper edge of the tote and the handles stitched in such a way that they are attached to that 3/4" - 1" inner edge as well as to the seam with the zipper.

Both of these methods will help keep the handles from pulling out along the zipper.

Oh, and if you use the webbing for handles, be very sure to singe the cut ends thoroughly to melt the loose fibers together or the ends can fray horribly (ask me how I learned this!)
I'm planning on using a quilted strap to match the bag and I WILL sew it in securely! I guess instead of attaching the handles across the seams at the sides of the bag, I could offset them, one just round the front and one just round the back? Would that work? I'm worried that the bulk and width of the strap at the end will prevent the zip from closing fully. What I should really do is make a mock up before starting on my commissioned bag but I'm far too lazy, ermmm, I mean, BUSY! :lol: