Old 05-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Barbara T

I am planning on making the pattern below in bright, busy, floral Oriental fabrics.

The quilt measures 50 x72 inches. The largest block is 9 inches square, the medium 6 inches and the smallest 3 inches square. The sashing is black and 1 inch wide. The border is 4 inches wide and black, but I thought I would change this to an inner 1 inch in black, then a pieced border of 2 inch squares from the block fabrics and then another 1 inch in black on the outer.
I really want to hand quilt it, as that gives me so much pleasure. My thoughts so far are,

- to leave the sashing unquilted, black on black my eyes can’t do, and to use a contrast thread would lose the effect of the black, do you agree?

- so, should I stitch in the ditch to separate the blocks from the sashing?

- as for the blocks, as the fabric is busy I guess an overall quilting pattern that I can adapt to each block size, but what? I prefer straight line quilting, but does it need curves to soften all the straight lines?

I really would appreciate any suggestions from those on this board whose quilting experience and knowledge is far greater than mine!!
Many thanks in advance.

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...ican_heritage/
Attached Thumbnails attachment-198227.jpe