Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you give me ideas how to hand quilt this pattern? >

Can you give me ideas how to hand quilt this pattern?

Can you give me ideas how to hand quilt this pattern?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
You could do straight line diagonal quilting in most of it and then in square blocks do something like a ginko leaf outline (if that strikes your fancy). For the border, you could do something like sashiko type strait line quilting. Because the spacing in sashiko is longer than traditional quilting, black might be a possibility. But a gray or even the dark red in your fabrics would work and not detract form the gorgeous fabric and your peicing. Just a thought.
I love your quilt top. The finished quilt is going to be beautiful.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. This isn't a quilt I have made yet, just the picture of the pattern, which I have included so you can see how the blocks are made up. The fabrics I intend to use are much busier, and although some are lighter and more tone on tone, they still won't really lend themselves to intricate quilting, but I like your idea of a ginko leaf outline.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I agree with no quilting in the sashing, it looks fairly narrow anyway.

Question: The pic you showed has several blocks that are a solid cream color. Will you also be putting a solid color fabric in those spaces or will all blocks be bright Asian florals?

If you are doing a solid a hand quilted Sashiko type design would be striking.

I would definitely SID or 1/4" from the ditch to give the blocks definition. I am a big fan of outline quilting fabric motifs. I think that would work well with large flashy florals. For an idea of what I am talking about here is a link to a quilt I made where I outline quilted every cat in the batik print in the border.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-22344-1.htm
Thank you for your ideas, and no there isn't any solids, just a couple of tone on tone. I looked at your quilt and it is really beautiful, I'm afraid my quilting is nowhere near as fine as yours though.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Banned

After reading your last post I can see that my ideas would not work. I assumed you were using the same amount of light values in the quilt. The busy fabric you say you are using would not show up decorative quilting. In the ditch and lines probably work better.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Beautiful!! I agree on leaving the black unquilted, but for the rest I'll leave for the pros on this board to help you :D
Old 05-17-2011, 12:14 PM

Does your cream fabric have the faint circles in it? If it does I think the contrast of the rectangles would be softened by quilting the cream squares folowing the large circular lines. Stitching in the ditch on the busy blocks lets the design of the fabric show through. Leaving the sashing unquilted will make it stand out.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:22 AM

Thanks to each and every one of you that posted. Your thoughts and suggestions have been very useful. I now feel confident about not quilting in the sashing, but outlining each block to add definition. The circles got me thinking, and I have decided on an orange peel design in each block, which looks quite effective across the whole quilt. Well, it does drawn out in draft! I shall make a trial block first and see how it looks. I just need the rest of my fabrics to arrive. I discovered a big drawback of ordering on the internet, is your parcel can arrive with one fabric missing, listed as out of stock and no longer available. This fabric just happened to be my first choice, which I had chosen all the others around! Still, I have found what I hope is a suitable replacement and it all helps to keep the creative juices going, I quess! I will post pictures for you to see when it is finished. Thanks again. :thumbup: