Thread: Steam Presser
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Chasing Hawk

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I had Singer steam press that was absolutely great until it died - I bought it on Craigslist just to see if I really would use it and I did.

I bought another one on eBay that is advertised as being 26" X 11" - what a mistake that was! It's a "Ricoma" brand and first of all, it's not 26X11, it's about 25X10. Not a big deal in and of itself, but if the actual size of the pressing area had been as advertised, I would be able to press fat quarters in two passes instead of three. (The Singer's 23X9 pressing service requires three presses for each fat quarter)

I suspect that Ricoma is trying to go head-to-head with the new larger Singer that actually has a 26 X 11 surface, and they're not ashamed to lie in their product specfications.

The second bad point is the so-called "steamer," which should actually be called a "splutterer." It spits more than steams, so I would hesitate to use the steam on any fabric that could water-spot.

The third problem has just reared its ugly head - the far right three inches of the heating element is no longer heating.

If I had it to do over, I'd bite the bullet and spend the extra $$ for the larger Singer - Singer is a good press and I LOVED it for starching and pre-shrinking my fabrics.
Thanks,

Gives me something to think about. I wasn't really thrilled with buying a brand I didn't know. Singer has always been a good product for me. I read a review of the Conair version and it had the same issues as the Ricoma you spoke of.