Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Steam Presser >

Steam Presser

Steam Presser

Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 AM

What do you think of these types of machines? I am thinking about getting one after my husband suggested it to help with my quilting.

If you have one what brand is it? and what do you like about it?

not nesscesarily this brand it's just the 1st picture I found.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]198298[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-198292.jpe  
Old 05-17-2011, 09:06 AM

I see that Eleanor Burns uses one all of the time! :thumbup:
I think it would be great for big pieces. Do you have the room for it? That would be my biggest concern. :roll:
Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 AM

I've often thought of them but the more I thought about it the more I opted not to get one. Reason being you can't get any yardage past the hinge for the top. And I have no room to have something that can't serve multiple purposes.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 AM

I bought one a year ago. Love it. I use mostly for fusing when I applique.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:21 AM

I have had one for about 7 yrs and luv it..
Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
I see that Eleanor Burns uses one all of the time! :thumbup:
I think it would be great for big pieces. Do you have the room for it? That would be my biggest concern. :roll:
I have the room, that isn't an issue.

Thanks for the replies so far. I look forward to reading a few more.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:55 AM

I had Singer steam press that was absolutely great until it died - I bought it on Craigslist just to see if I really would use it and I did.

I bought another one on eBay that is advertised as being 26" X 11" - what a mistake that was! It's a "Ricoma" brand and first of all, it's not 26X11, it's about 25X10. Not a big deal in and of itself, but if the actual size of the pressing area had been as advertised, I would be able to press fat quarters in two passes instead of three. (The Singer's 23X9 pressing service requires three presses for each fat quarter)

I suspect that Ricoma is trying to go head-to-head with the new larger Singer that actually has a 26 X 11 surface, and they're not ashamed to lie in their product specfications.

The second bad point is the so-called "steamer," which should actually be called a "splutterer." It spits more than steams, so I would hesitate to use the steam on any fabric that could water-spot.

The third problem has just reared its ugly head - the far right three inches of the heating element is no longer heating.

If I had it to do over, I'd bite the bullet and spend the extra $$ for the larger Singer - Singer is a good press and I LOVED it for starching and pre-shrinking my fabrics.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I had Singer steam press that was absolutely great until it died - I bought it on Craigslist just to see if I really would use it and I did.

I bought another one on eBay that is advertised as being 26" X 11" - what a mistake that was! It's a "Ricoma" brand and first of all, it's not 26X11, it's about 25X10. Not a big deal in and of itself, but if the actual size of the pressing area had been as advertised, I would be able to press fat quarters in two passes instead of three. (The Singer's 23X9 pressing service requires three presses for each fat quarter)

I suspect that Ricoma is trying to go head-to-head with the new larger Singer that actually has a 26 X 11 surface, and they're not ashamed to lie in their product specfications.

The second bad point is the so-called "steamer," which should actually be called a "splutterer." It spits more than steams, so I would hesitate to use the steam on any fabric that could water-spot.

The third problem has just reared its ugly head - the far right three inches of the heating element is no longer heating.

If I had it to do over, I'd bite the bullet and spend the extra $$ for the larger Singer - Singer is a good press and I LOVED it for starching and pre-shrinking my fabrics.
Thanks,

Gives me something to think about. I wasn't really thrilled with buying a brand I didn't know. Singer has always been a good product for me. I read a review of the Conair version and it had the same issues as the Ricoma you spoke of.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:30 PM

I have a Conair. It was $50 at Ross, cheap enough to give it a try. I really only use it for pressing pieced blocks, but it is so handy. I haven't had it long enough to have issues yet, about 6 months.