Old 04-03-2009, 03:52 AM
mic-pa

I cut my fabric the same way as you esplained an never have a problem with a V in the center. Works every time. And I never fold the fabric more than once. Marge
Originally Posted by Cookn
If you don't square your ruler with the fabric there is absolutely no way to cut a strip correctly. I use the two ruler method. First I align the fabric selvage to selvage and fold it once and then again length wise, giving me a long strip of folded fabric. VERY IMPORTANT once you have started the process and placed your ruler on the fabric DO NOT move the material until you are through cutting strips. I take the largest ruler that I have , which is a 20" square, place it on the fabric fold line where I can set it on let's say the 1" line all the way across the fold for the full 20". I leave approximately 1" of fabric showing on the left side of the ruler, very carefully without moving the 20" ruler while holding it very securely, I place another ruler on the left side of the 20" ruler. While holding the new ruler secure, I remove the 20" ruler because I have squared the fabric with the new ruler and 20 " is no longer needed. I can now trim the fabric along the right edge of the new ruler. After trimming the edge of the fabric without moving the material I set the new ruler on the fabric aligning it with the fabric at the 2 1/2" marks on the ruler and cut a perfect squared strip. If, at any point in this process, you have moved the fabric, you have to start all over again. The actual process takes only seconds to do once you understand how to do it. If you are left handed you have to reverse everything but it would still work for you.