Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I'm trying to cut a 2 1/2  'strip the width of the fabric, but.... >

Help! I'm trying to cut a 2 1/2 'strip the width of the fabric, but....

Help! I'm trying to cut a 2 1/2 'strip the width of the fabric, but....

Old 04-02-2009, 06:16 PM

every time I try it comes out all crooked! :cry:
How can I get it to cut straight? Is there a trick to cutting these fabric strips?? :roll:
Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 PM

I have to pay close attention ot how I fold my fabric when cutting strips. Sometimes folding it directly in half doesn't work because it isn't cut straight. Trying to figure out how to put it into words. After I fold it, I work from the fold up smoothing it out to see how it lays. Ugh.. does that make sense at all?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 PM

I cut my strips with the grain line, then I don't have a problem.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Power Poster

The only way I found to cut strips and know with out a doubt there won't be a V in the middle is to cut one layer at a time. At quilt congress we were showed to iron out the fold line, line up the selvage edges perfectly pin or baste them together. Re iron the fold in the fabric, then bring the fold end up to the pinned selvage edge, use the widest ruler edge we had lined up on the bottom fold and then cut the strips. :shock: :shock: :shock: Uh no thanks. I just cut the V out of the strip and go on like nothing was ever crooked to begin with. :wink:
Old 04-02-2009, 09:48 PM

Great ideas everyone ...and I second them!!....:-)
Old 04-02-2009, 10:40 PM

If you don't square your ruler with the fabric there is absolutely no way to cut a strip correctly. I use the two ruler method. First I align the fabric selvage to selvage and fold it once and then again length wise, giving me a long strip of folded fabric. VERY IMPORTANT once you have started the process and placed your ruler on the fabric DO NOT move the material until you are through cutting strips. I take the largest ruler that I have , which is a 20" square, place it on the fabric fold line where I can set it on let's say the 1" line all the way across the fold for the full 20". I leave approximately 1" of fabric showing on the left side of the ruler, very carefully without moving the 20" ruler while holding it very securely, I place another ruler on the left side of the 20" ruler. While holding the new ruler secure, I remove the 20" ruler because I have squared the fabric with the new ruler and 20 " is no longer needed. I can now trim the fabric along the right edge of the new ruler. After trimming the edge of the fabric without moving the material I set the new ruler on the fabric aligning it with the fabric at the 2 1/2" marks on the ruler and cut a perfect squared strip. If, at any point in this process, you have moved the fabric, you have to start all over again. The actual process takes only seconds to do once you understand how to do it. If you are left handed you have to reverse everything but it would still work for you.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:19 AM

I have given up on trying to cut long strips without getting a V at the fold. Plus I find them a pain to work with--especially at the ironing table. So, usually I just cut the fold off so I have 2 short strips instead of one long one. If I need subcuts that would make it impossible to cut the fold off (like 8" strips), I will cut the 8" pieces leaving the last one at the fold for later. Then I take those pieces to the ironing board, spritz them with water and press them into shape. If one is really wonky, it goes into the scrap bin.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:52 AM

I cut my fabric the same way as you esplained an never have a problem with a V in the center. Works every time. And I never fold the fabric more than once. Marge
Originally Posted by Cookn
If you don't square your ruler with the fabric there is absolutely no way to cut a strip correctly. I use the two ruler method. First I align the fabric selvage to selvage and fold it once and then again length wise, giving me a long strip of folded fabric. VERY IMPORTANT once you have started the process and placed your ruler on the fabric DO NOT move the material until you are through cutting strips. I take the largest ruler that I have , which is a 20" square, place it on the fabric fold line where I can set it on let's say the 1" line all the way across the fold for the full 20". I leave approximately 1" of fabric showing on the left side of the ruler, very carefully without moving the 20" ruler while holding it very securely, I place another ruler on the left side of the 20" ruler. While holding the new ruler secure, I remove the 20" ruler because I have squared the fabric with the new ruler and 20 " is no longer needed. I can now trim the fabric along the right edge of the new ruler. After trimming the edge of the fabric without moving the material I set the new ruler on the fabric aligning it with the fabric at the 2 1/2" marks on the ruler and cut a perfect squared strip. If, at any point in this process, you have moved the fabric, you have to start all over again. The actual process takes only seconds to do once you understand how to do it. If you are left handed you have to reverse everything but it would still work for you.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:13 AM

So far very few fabics fold straight. I always end up cutting off a good inch or more from the selvage end. Its the way they are put on the bolt.
Spend a little time making sure the fabric folds even and irons nice.
Some fabrics just have alot of waste on the end and if you fold it the way it should be you wont have a problem cutting.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 AM

I am doing exactly the same thing at the moment for strips for a braided border.

I fold the fabric once, then line up the short end of the ruler exactly on the fold of the fabric. This makes sure that the long side of the ruler that you cut against is perpendicular to the folded edge of the fabric, and the strips come out fine. Hope that makes sense. I can take a pic later if you want, PM me.