Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I'm trying to cut a 2 1/2  'strip the width of the fabric, but.... >

Help! I'm trying to cut a 2 1/2 'strip the width of the fabric, but....

Help! I'm trying to cut a 2 1/2 'strip the width of the fabric, but....

Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 AM

I have solved that problem. Bought a accucut cutter. Perfect 2.5 strips every time. Cut 10 layers at a time two.

Linda D MI
Old 04-03-2009, 08:03 AM

I fold the fabric twice (make sure your rotary cutter is big enough to handle more than three layers of fabric).
The first fold is the way it is put on the board, and it may or may not be straight. If the fabric was loaded with a bunch of wrinkles, you have a choice of ironing it out, or throwing the whole fabric into the dryer with a wet towel and tumble for twenty minutes or so. Take out immediately and start the folding process. As mentioned before, get the selvages as close together as possible, along the length, but rest assured, your chances of having them line up exactly are pretty slim ... that is the first fold - - go to the folded side and begin smoothing the fabric so that it is laying straight and flat (at which point, you may or may not have selvedges matching) - - not to worry, your goal is to have your fabric straight and flat. I then fold the fabric a second time. If it is a great length of fabric, I go get help, but the point is to not allow the first fold to get away from its determinded correct position. If you practice on a fat quarter first, in time, you will move up the size frame until you are adept at any length you can get help with or handle on your own.
Some might ask: But, aren't you afraid that you are going to get across the grain? Well ... no ... since many old quilts that have lasted more than a hundred years have been found to have squares made on almost the bias ... just treat your fabric with respect, encouraging it to lay flat and smooth, don't pull on it while it is trying to sew through the machine, and you won't notice the off grain at all ... two inches is two inches, no matter what direction it get there.
There is no grain god waiting to strike you down because you got cross of it <g>.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

I press the fabric first so I don't have the crease any longer. Then I fold the fabric with the selvages together but I keep the sides from touching at first so I can check that it hangs straight. (You can tell when it doesn't because either side will pull. It almost looks like a huge hammock.) Then I let the fabric touch and smooth it out on my cutting surface and square off one side.

I generally cut a multiplied value of my strip width. Example: @2.5" I would probably cut 20" at a time, and then cut that into 8 2.5" strips.

Happy cutting.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 AM

I solved the straight strips by cutting a 1/2 in slit in the edge of the fabric and tearing across the fabric, it will always tear on the straight of grain. If the fabric tears off before going to the other side, start on the other side with your slit and tearing. We were taught this in Home Ec. back in 1963, tells my age doesn't it. I even tear strips for quilts, allowing an extra 1/4 inch for the ravel edges then trim off after the first
sewing. I have done this many many times and turn out perfect straight of grain strips, squares etc., just always check your cutting line after a few cuts to see if your are staying straight or have slipped if cutting.
Hope this helps.
Gangles
Old 04-03-2009, 08:47 AM

aren't you the clever one, Gangles!
I had forgotten about that tearing the strips thing, but Elenor BUrns used to teach that method all of the time.
And, you are right - - straight of grain with the minimum of hassle.
However, I have always resisted it because of: What size to tear if I have to clean up those ragged edges? What size to tear is I keep the ragged edges (with all of those strings that happen as the fabric gets on straight of grain)?
Now, thanks to you - - I know ... tear the strips a quarter inch wider and trim the rags ... thank you ... that helps a lot!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Banned

Thanks for the cutting tips !!! I sometimes get that dreaded " v " when cutting strips , drat ! People on this board are so helpful :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think my biggest pet peeve is : buying remnants at walmart , open them up and it looks like a 2yr old cut it ! Jagged , loose as much as an inch at times straightening it up !

Annie
Old 04-03-2009, 11:28 AM

Quilters! :!:
one NEVER loses fabric when the cut edges do not line up.
One has simply been given the added bonus of the seed fabric for your next scrap quilt!
Of course, if you had your fabric cut to the exact size you think you needed, you might be a little short, but even that is an opportunity to do something different than you started out planning.
isn't it wonderful how quilting encourages us to let go of pre-conceived ideas? <g>
Old 04-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

I did the same as Linda D MI, I bought the die cut machine. Best thing I've bought since my sewing machine. :D
Old 04-03-2009, 07:07 PM

I wish I had told you that you should try an extra 1/4" and if that isn't enough sometimes go almost half an inch larger just to make sure I have enough to trim up to the size I need.
2 of the last 3 tops I have made have been by the "Tear" method.