Old 05-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Dina

Our guild is creating charity quilts (though we call them comfort quilts) from grab bags as our challenge for the next three months. I brought home two bags, and I was able to make a pretty good quilt out of the first bag of fabric I got, but this second bag has me stumped.

It has 2 inch strips and 4 inch strips...well, most of them are strips. Some are just 8 inches long. It's obvious the committee member just grabbed a handful of these and stuck them in a bag.

Does anyone have any ideas for me on how to use these to make a quilt? I am fairly new to quilting, less than 2 years, though I have been sewing all my life. We can add our own fabric if we want to. I am quite willing to do that...but first I need to figure out what to do.

The quilts will be for family members whose homes burned in the wild fires several weeks ago. We have 50 some people who will receive our quilts, adults and kids.

These strips don't match at all, so I guess a scrappy quilt of some sort is in order. I downloaded one called a Wickedly Easy Quilt, but it starts with fat quarters and uses strips of 4 1/2 and 2 1/2. I can't seem to wrap my brain around how to make it work for me.

So, does anyone has an idea for me....? I think a more experienced quilter should have got this bag. :(