Thread: Quilting Class
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 05:41 AM
johnette

My grandma taught me to hand piece four patches when I was in 4th grade. She taught me on scraps from old aprons and "house dresses". Things happened and I never got that quilt finished (but she did several years later). Then in my very early twenties my MIL at the time and I joined her mother in "quilting club". It was a bunch of old ladies mostly in their 60's and up. They hand quilted and thought that machines were okay for "quick bedding" if you were in need, but real quilts were hand done. Like one of the previous posts we cut templates from cardboard or plastic butter lids and each piece was hand traced and cut with scissors, then hand sewn together. They were very critical of my work at first, but decided that I came along rather well for my age. Once a month we would meet at someone's house and quilt on that person's current project and have a pot luck dinner. I did that for a couple of years and then life got in the way again and I didn't get back to quilting until I found out I was going to be a grandma a few years ago. I was amazed and still am at how easy quilting is now with all the tools and gadgets. I wonder if those old ladies are rolling over in their graves knowing I rotary cut and piece and quilt by machine or if they are saying you go girl. Sometimes I almost feel guilty for all the gadgets and fabric I have when I think about my old quiltig club days. But I sure do enjoy all my goodies and stash. :)