Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting Class

Just curious how many of you took a quilting class when you first started?

I did.

Our local college ran a beginners class. It was great having someone right there when things went wrong, or to answer any questions.

What I've found since is that techniques can be very personal, and the way one person does things is not necessarily the best way. And the style preference has a great impact too. The teacher was very into "cheats" and shortcuts and super-quick quilts, whereas I've discovered I like the more intricate and involved quilts, I have the patience and enthusiasm to put a lot more time into mine.

I did. Took it though my adult ed in the local high school. Had a great teacher.

Blog Entries
    I signed up for a sampler class in '89. After I paid, the lady said: Now remember to bring your stash. To which I replied: What stash?

Had apparently missed the big fat "SCRAP" in the description of my sampler class - lol.

Did not own a scrap at that time. About $150 later, I was ready for my class - ggggg. NOW, I could get buried under my stash.

I still take classes now and then, but with You-Tube, books, and forums, it is tempting to just try things at home.

No Class - just searched internet & bought a LOT of quilting books.

Piedmont Quilter

I didn't take a class either, just a couple of friends that encouraged and guided me.

I didn't take a class when I first started making quilts, but I sure did record all the quilt shows I could find and watched them over and over and over...

And then I had the help of a couple of good friends and we all take classes when we can. It seems like there is always a new technique to learn!

Not me, would like to but there's no quilt store within 100 miles.

No classes here.. had been sewing for half of forever and happened to pop into a fabric shop got intrigued, decided I could do that, bought some fabric, could find no pattern to "fit" it, so I went home, drafted a pattern, cut out the pieces and made a queen sized quilt top...hey, why let fear, common sense and ignorance stand in your way..........right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tippy
    No classes here.. had been sewing for half of forever and happened to pop into a fabric shop got intrigued, decided I could do that, bought some fabric, could find no pattern to "fit" it, so I went home, drafted a pattern, cut out the pieces and made a queen sized quilt top...hey, why let fear, common sense and ignorance stand in your way..........right?
    LOL

And maybe that is the best way to start! :-)

If you're not aware of the rules you can push the boundaries and come up with whole new concepts.

We lived in Germany when I started, but I took some classes when we got back to the US a couple years later.

I did after a few fustrating attempts.....a beginers class is great helps with many many pointers....:-)

I took a class in quilting the same day my daughter took a class to learn to sew. She made a dress and I made an apron and pot holders.

Blog Entries
    I signed up for a free community quilting class and the second class the teacher never showed up. I found myself showing the class what I did to finish the block and I finished teaching the class for the whole year not really knowing what I was doing. I'm still teaching the free quilt class and it's been four years now.

No, I thought because I knew how to sew, I would automatically know how to quilt too. uhhhhh, WRONG! Guess that is why that first project took me ten+ years to finish! Every time I screwed up I would throw it back in the closet where it would languish for months or years at a time!

I signed up for a free community quilting class and the second class the teacher never showed up. I found myself showing the class what I did to finish the block and I finished teaching the class for the whole year not really knowing what I was doing. I'm still teaching the free quilt class and it's been four years now.
    That is a funny story BellaBoo! What is that yummy looking dish in your Avatar? Have you shared the recipe?? :D :D

Blog Entries
    I started quilting in 1981 with classes and I am still taking classes in fact I'm
    taking 2 this month one on the double wedding ring quilt as you go and one on a pattern called lucky seven these will be my 3rd classes this year I
    love learning new techneques and taking classes are lots of fun so I do encourage them even if only one a year always something new to learn
    happy quilting Dodie

Blog Entries
    It's a quiche and my hubby likes it! We have it for dinner quiet often. I'll post the recipe.

Lots of shops offer classes here in Phx. but they are too expensive for me.
    I learned from videos on the web and El Burns was the best teacher.
    Also her books are the best. Never a failure with her instructions.
    Would like to take a class just to meet fellow quilters but havnt so far.

My sister in law got me hooked 19 years ago. First quilt I did was Trip around the world by E.B.. So I guess it was learning experience. Self taught. Still learning as I keep quilting.

I did not take a class when I first started quilting. But, I joined a small group (10 ladies) of quilters who were eager to teach me. I have taken classes since then, but just for technique--like hand quilting, invisible machine applique, kaleidoscope blocks, etc.

CRH
    Quote Originally Posted by Machel
    My sister in law got me hooked 19 years ago. First quilt I did was Trip around the world by E.B.. So I guess it was learning experience. Self taught. Still learning as I keep quilting.
    MY first quilt was also a trip around the world using Eleanor Burns' book. Country blue and pink fabric that I no longer like. The top is done, but not sandwiched or quilted, since it no longer matches my "decor". Maybe I should practice machine quilting on it. Haven't things changed in these last 20 years??

I wonder how many 'first' quilts were made using trip around the world, thanks to Eleanor!!!!

I did, but I won it, or rather my mom won it! The strip mall where the LQS is located had a christmas open house and she won $1000 shopping spree! woo hoo! She received gift certs. from about 28 stores. One of the many she gave me was a $45 quilting class, because I was 'crafty'.

I hadn't sewed in years and it was a struggle, but the quilt is finished. I tell DH that 'free' class has cost a lot of money over the last 5 years. LOL

I did learn a lot, because when I hear/read someone say they didn't know that technique, I do!

I took one in 1992 (I think) and hated it! My instructor didn't give any guide lines! She kept saying "it's your quilt do what you like". Well I did not know what I liked. Everyone would meet after class at a local fabric store and grumble. We were so confused! I look back on my sampler quilt and am glad I had that experience because it helps me to know how to teach others to quilt. I needed to be told NOT to mix poly/cotton with cotton. I like having guide lines, and knowing what will happen if I step outside tose recommendations. That's me, though.

I later took another quilt class at a local quilt shop with our daughter and fell in love with quilting. I have loved it ever since. To date I have given 70 something quilts away and I had taken a break for a couple of years due to health and am back at it again.

I think a class is so important because you can learn tons from everyone who is learning at the same time.If you take a class and hate quilting there is hope I am proof of that!

I hope this helps you out!

I started with a "class" that meets each month and does a different block each month for a quilt/year in 2006. Still going, although there is really not much in the way of teaching, mainly do the block there and have assistance if you need a question answered. In 2008 gave my stepdaughter a class for her birthday and attended with her. Other than that, pretty much self-taught by looking on internet and through these wonderful message boards with you wonderful people.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast