Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Class (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-class-t18472.html)

ldawson1 04-02-2009 02:31 PM

Just curious how many of you took a quilting class when you first started?

BlueChicken 04-02-2009 02:55 PM

I did.

Our local college ran a beginners class. It was great having someone right there when things went wrong, or to answer any questions.

What I've found since is that techniques can be very personal, and the way one person does things is not necessarily the best way. And the style preference has a great impact too. The teacher was very into "cheats" and shortcuts and super-quick quilts, whereas I've discovered I like the more intricate and involved quilts, I have the patience and enthusiasm to put a lot more time into mine.

beachlady 04-02-2009 02:59 PM

I did. Took it though my adult ed in the local high school. Had a great teacher.

MadQuilter 04-02-2009 03:24 PM

I signed up for a sampler class in '89. After I paid, the lady said: Now remember to bring your stash. To which I replied: What stash?

Had apparently missed the big fat "SCRAP" in the description of my sampler class - lol.

Did not own a scrap at that time. About $150 later, I was ready for my class - ggggg. NOW, I could get buried under my stash.

I still take classes now and then, but with You-Tube, books, and forums, it is tempting to just try things at home.

Piedmont Quilter 04-02-2009 03:59 PM

No Class - just searched internet & bought a LOT of quilting books.

Piedmont Quilter

Jim's Gem 04-02-2009 04:05 PM

I didn't take a class either, just a couple of friends that encouraged and guided me.

sewjoyce 04-02-2009 06:15 PM

I didn't take a class when I first started making quilts, but I sure did record all the quilt shows I could find and watched them over and over and over...

And then I had the help of a couple of good friends and we all take classes when we can. It seems like there is always a new technique to learn!

pocoellie 04-02-2009 07:08 PM

Not me, would like to but there's no quilt store within 100 miles.

Tippy 04-02-2009 08:05 PM

No classes here.. had been sewing for half of forever and happened to pop into a fabric shop got intrigued, decided I could do that, bought some fabric, could find no pattern to "fit" it, so I went home, drafted a pattern, cut out the pieces and made a queen sized quilt top...hey, why let fear, common sense and ignorance stand in your way..........right?

BlueChicken 04-02-2009 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy
No classes here.. had been sewing for half of forever and happened to pop into a fabric shop got intrigued, decided I could do that, bought some fabric, could find no pattern to "fit" it, so I went home, drafted a pattern, cut out the pieces and made a queen sized quilt top...hey, why let fear, common sense and ignorance stand in your way..........right?

LOL

And maybe that is the best way to start! :-)

If you're not aware of the rules you can push the boundaries and come up with whole new concepts.