Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Class (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-class-t18472.html)

Marcia 04-03-2009 07:43 AM

I did not take a class when I first started quilting. But, I joined a small group (10 ladies) of quilters who were eager to teach me. I have taken classes since then, but just for technique--like hand quilting, invisible machine applique, kaleidoscope blocks, etc.

CRH 04-03-2009 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Machel
My sister in law got me hooked 19 years ago. First quilt I did was Trip around the world by E.B.. So I guess it was learning experience. Self taught. Still learning as I keep quilting.

MY first quilt was also a trip around the world using Eleanor Burns' book. Country blue and pink fabric that I no longer like. The top is done, but not sandwiched or quilted, since it no longer matches my "decor". Maybe I should practice machine quilting on it. Haven't things changed in these last 20 years??

I wonder how many 'first' quilts were made using trip around the world, thanks to Eleanor!!!!

carrieg 04-03-2009 07:54 AM

I did, but I won it, or rather my mom won it! The strip mall where the LQS is located had a christmas open house and she won $1000 shopping spree! woo hoo! She received gift certs. from about 28 stores. One of the many she gave me was a $45 quilting class, because I was 'crafty'.

I hadn't sewed in years and it was a struggle, but the quilt is finished. I tell DH that 'free' class has cost a lot of money over the last 5 years. LOL

I did learn a lot, because when I hear/read someone say they didn't know that technique, I do!

alaskasunshine 04-03-2009 09:36 AM

I took one in 1992 (I think) and hated it! My instructor didn't give any guide lines! She kept saying "it's your quilt do what you like". Well I did not know what I liked. Everyone would meet after class at a local fabric store and grumble. We were so confused! I look back on my sampler quilt and am glad I had that experience because it helps me to know how to teach others to quilt. I needed to be told NOT to mix poly/cotton with cotton. I like having guide lines, and knowing what will happen if I step outside tose recommendations. That's me, though.

I later took another quilt class at a local quilt shop with our daughter and fell in love with quilting. I have loved it ever since. To date I have given 70 something quilts away and I had taken a break for a couple of years due to health and am back at it again.

I think a class is so important because you can learn tons from everyone who is learning at the same time.If you take a class and hate quilting there is hope I am proof of that!

I hope this helps you out!

racnquilter 04-03-2009 10:33 AM

I started with a "class" that meets each month and does a different block each month for a quilt/year in 2006. Still going, although there is really not much in the way of teaching, mainly do the block there and have assistance if you need a question answered. In 2008 gave my stepdaughter a class for her birthday and attended with her. Other than that, pretty much self-taught by looking on internet and through these wonderful message boards with you wonderful people.

omak 04-03-2009 10:51 AM

Classes help people like me get moving on something.
I tend to gather all the supplies, books, tools, and keep gathering all the books, tools, and fabric ...
In order to bust me out of the hunting gathering phase of my obsession, I had to take classes to make myself actually accomplish something with everything I owned - - or at least a portion of it.
More than ten years ago, I made myself jump in and actually produce a quilt by joining a list, much like this one and committing to working on a mystery quilt (even that took me two years to complete).
A local class allowed me to meet local quilters and form a workgroup for my chosen charity ... and, that has helped me understand what I really like about quilting - - colors, angles, and practicality ... much more important than spending money <g> but, not by much!
Before I ever did any of that, I watched a lot of Elenor Burns on television, and Simply QUilts, Carol Duvall ... and, if they sewed it, I watched it.
Not everyone needs as much encouragement and input as I did ... there is no right or wrong way to learn ... but, there sure are a lot of aids to help us get there.

MadQuilter 04-03-2009 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cathe
We lived in Germany when I started.

there is a growing trend to quilt in Germany (as in other coutries). Have you checked out www.quiltinggallery.com ALL THOSE BLOGGERS.

Mplsgirl 04-03-2009 05:02 PM

I started with a class at Piecemakers in Costa Mesa, CA. They were great and spent a lot of time with each of us. Now that I am unemployed, I think I might take another one here in Illinois.

sewhappy57 04-03-2009 05:13 PM

OK here's my 2 cents. I took a quilt class when I first started, I learned so much about quilting in those 4 hours all of which I still use quite frequently.
I also got out of the house and made new friends. I highly recommend a class if your just starting out.

littlehud 04-03-2009 05:16 PM

No class. My sister and I started quilting together. We each bought a book and worked together. I got hooked and she didn't like it. She has now offered me the fabric she got for two of her grandkids quilts if I will make them. Ok with me. Tee Hee.