Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 AM
DebsShelties

Originally Posted by ckcowl
it's often a (sticky subject) when making something for a good friend or family member- you want your time to be valued but at the same time want to give a good deal because of who it is for.
over the years i have come up with a (base price) for different sizes of quilts- then depending on who/where the quilt is going it may be quite a bit more by the end.

such as...i charge $65 for a (base price) for a twin-kids quilt...if you are a close friend/family member- that is what you would pay--
if the quilt is for sale- and i have no idea who may buy it it is $125----if it is a lot of work---expensive/time consuming it may be more- but that's the average.

when someone asks- what would you charge me to make a queen size quilt? i start with..."a queen size quilt starts at $250 and goes up from there- what did you have in mind?"
everyone is different as far as what to charge and why---it is different when a person is supplying everything you need- and if you are not concerned with really (making money) charge your friends what ever you think is fair.
This is a gal I have known since High School (35 years), I would be doing this more for the experience than money. I have told her in the past when she asked about fabric and how much it takes that I always buy more than what the pattern calls for as a just in case.
I am in Virginia, she would be shipping me the materials if I agree to make this for her.