View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Judi in Ohio

Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
I have been to several quilt stores and the fabric is usually pricey. So with that in mind, why go to a quilt store when you can go to JoAnns or Walmart??
If you have to ask that question I'd say the answer is you should shop at JoAnn's & Walmarts. If you can't tell the difference in fabrics then it sounds like J & WM is just fine for you. I'm not being snotty here, just stating the facts. My dh loves fine wine - I could care less. Mogan David sips just fine - lol. The better the wine gets the worse it tastes as far as I'm concerned, but I'm no wine snob. But I do love fine fabric. So, some people put more importance in certain things and maybe fabric is fine with you, where ever it comes from. I can spot not great fabric from a mile.
I made a lovely quilt once - one of my first. It was a muslim foundation pineapple quilt. I found a group of gorgeous fabrics at my LQS. But I'm a scrappy girl and needed more interest, so was in JoAnn's and found the color I needed with different prints and I bought enough to make a bed skirt. All the Joann's fabric faded and just shredded to bits. That bed skirt lasted for 2 years, that was it. I'm afraid to use that quilt now. The good fabric looks perfect, not so my renegade fabric. I do buy online. I'm not a matchy, matchy type person. I think like Bonnie Hunter, the more different fabrics the more interesting the quilts - and boy are my quilts interesting. So, it matters not if I mis read a color or pattern. I shop lots in my LQS - I love them. I'm fortunate, I am still working, no kids at home and I buy what I like.
With places like thousandsofbolts, whittles,quiltfabriccloseouts, and ebay, there are just a ton of places selling quality fabric for less. And some of them are small business owners also.
Judi