Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why go to a quilt store??? >

Why go to a quilt store???

Why go to a quilt store???

Old 05-29-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
Originally Posted by Maureen
.... plus quilt shops will help if you need it, Mine even lets me use their big table to layout my quilt for sandwiching, etc.
We’re a little “Mom & Pop” Fabric Shop in rural Oklahoma, and have/use an old antique cutting table that once was in the local TG&Y Store here in town. It’s one of the old 6-ft square tables with scissor channels and brass yard measures on two sides, and it stands higher than normal tables. There’s no telling how many (free) “pinning parties” that we have had around that old table. My wife always helps pin, and I have even gotten in on one or two myself. Once in a while, the pinning has to stop to measure fabric for another customer, but most likely, the other customer will just join in to help get things pinned, and wait to have their fabric cut afterwards.

The cutting table will handle the larger quilts by moving it around after the center portion has been pinned. The next-best place for pinning would be at one of the Church activity hall rooms, on multiple tables pushed together, but that requires more work. Our table is always set up, and you even get free helpers!

There’s usually fabric in the quilt that didn’t come from our shop, and sometimes there may not be any part of the quilt that came from our shop, but that’s ok. We get to see and feel fabrics that we may want to include in our inventory in the future. Besides, it can bring up interesting stories about how and where they came up with some of their fabrics or blocks. It’s kind of like an impromptu quilting bee.

CD in Oklahoma
Will you move to Tennessee???? I wish we had a store like yours and it would get all my business!!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:03 AM

....have/use an old antique cutting table that once was in the local TG&Y Store here in town.
I should correct myself on the “antique” statement. I should have said “vintage”, since I don’t know how old a cutting table has to be before it’s considered antique, and this one isn’t all that old anyway.

I would guess that our table is 1960s vintage, but it could be newer. Mr. Tomlinson (the “T” in TG&Y) already had his Tomlinson Department Store here in town before he joined two other gentlemen in the area to form TG&Y back in 1935, but I don’t think this cutting table is from the 30s or before. It’s made of materials that appear to me to be more from the 60s or 70s.

The previous owners of our shop acquired the shop in the mid-70s, but I don’t know when the TG&Y store closed and they acquired the cutting table. I just know they said it came from the TG&Y store down the street.

We also have an old “ripping table” and three of the measuring meters that were used to cut a nick in the selvage of the fabric so that the measured portion could be ripped from the roll. We don’t use it to measure and cut fabric any longer, but it’s still set up with a meter on it for people to see. (We get a lot of “what’s that?” comments from the younger crowd.)

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-29-2011, 01:36 PM

I have shopped alot on Ebay and all the fabric I got was lovely. Good quality and excellent price. I bid on it but they do not seem to have the good auctions anymore. It sems to be a lot of BUY IT NOW.
Very satisfied oredering nonline as well.
jobo
Old 05-29-2011, 07:59 PM

....have/use an old antique cutting table that once was in the local TG&Y Store here in town.
I should correct myself on the “antique” statement. I should have said “vintage”, since I don’t know how old a cutting table has to be before it’s considered antique, and this one isn’t all that old anyway.

I would guess that our table is 1960s vintage, but it could be newer. Mr. Tomlinson (the “T” in TG&Y) already had his Tomlinson Department Store here in town before he joined two other gentlemen in the area to form TG&Y back in 1935, but I don’t think this cutting table is from the 30s or before. It’s made of materials that appear to me to be more from the 60s or 70s.

The previous owners of our shop acquired the shop in the mid-70s, but I don’t know when the TG&Y store closed and they acquired the cutting table. I just know they said it came from the TG&Y store down the street.

We also have an old “ripping table” and three of the measuring meters that were used to cut a nick in the selvage of the fabric so that the measured portion could be ripped from the roll. We don’t use it to measure and cut fabric any longer, but it’s still set up with a meter on it for people to see. (We get a lot of “what’s that?” comments from the younger crowd.)

CD in Oklahoma
Gosh! You really make me want to visit your shop. The quilters in your area are lucky to have you.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I go to the one LQS because I absolutely love her shop and she's a gem. She has the most amazing quilts on display too.
I go to another one a bit further away because it's a destination store. You go there just to go there. Even the dog greets you. The store is in an antique home and every nook and cranny has fabric and notions. It's an amazing experience and "Shirley" is an encyclopedia of quilting knowledge. We go with a group for a road trip and then go out for lunch :) which is always fun!
The third shop I do attend often is an hour's drive away but she has the cutest fabrics, I always find something new there.
My local fabric chain store does however get most of my fabric purchases just because of their prices. And their sales. I can count on a good sale every month - so that's when I stock up.
I've only started using online stores, the prices are good, but I'm always nervous about the quality of the fabric because I don't get to 'pet' it first.
I think I know the 'destination store' you mean... is it in Shakespeare, Ontario by any chance? If that's the one, then everyone there is absolutely great! I come in once every year when I come to Canada to visit my family, and the shop people get my quilt tops ready for hand quilting by some of the women in the area. The results are breath-taking.

In the part of the world where I live, there aren't any quilting shops, so I order online, or wait until I can go to visit my family. I can spend hours and hours in a quilt shop when I do find one, petting fabric, dreaming, catching up on new styles, leafing through the myriad books and magazines...

Those of you who live with a LQS nearby are so, so lucky!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 AM

I always go to a local quilt store over walmart and joanns. LQS fabric is hands down better than the other two. I will shop at Beverly's because they carry the same quality as an LQS, along with lesser and cheaper fabric that I stay away from.

Having been an owner of a quilt store, I also go to support those that are still open. If we do not support them, they will close. There is not much money to be made in the LQS. Most put everything back into the store. They are more a meeting place of people of like mind. Classes are wonderful. Support is there. You see old friends and make new ones. I have never had any of that at Joanns or Walmart.

Support your LQS whenever your pocketbook will allow!!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:52 AM

Very true. The support at Lqs is phenomenanol but unfortunately so are the prices . I support my local store as much as I can . I also support joann's and walmart. Joanne is a great source for stabilizers and notions (50% sales). Walmart is good for items where you want a licensed print (Disney) etc. For all else I wait until LQS has a sale on the fabric and I will stock up then. I always wanted to have a fabric store but have seen too many go by the way.
jobo
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
I have been to several quilt stores and the fabric is usually pricey. So with that in mind, why go to a quilt store when you can go to JoAnns or Walmart??
Because Walmart and JoAnn's fabric is not the same as quilt shop fabric.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Because I can't grab 5 bolts and lay them out to see how they play together when I shop online - but I can do that at an LQS (I have never stuck to a single line of fabric).

Husband and I try whenever possible to support local small businesses. There are very sound econinomical reasons to do this.

And for all the other things folks mentioned - mostly the personal service.
Exactly!
If it is the LQS, Jo-Ann, or Walmart it is your decision. You are the one in control of your cash and your stash! I personally support local businesses as much as I can afford to. But thread and interfacing, and batting I use the coupons.
Do what you want.
As stated before, in the LQS you can get help and take classes that you probably will not find in the big box stores.