View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 11:03 AM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
....have/use an old antique cutting table that once was in the local TG&Y Store here in town.
I should correct myself on the “antique” statement. I should have said “vintage”, since I don’t know how old a cutting table has to be before it’s considered antique, and this one isn’t all that old anyway.

I would guess that our table is 1960s vintage, but it could be newer. Mr. Tomlinson (the “T” in TG&Y) already had his Tomlinson Department Store here in town before he joined two other gentlemen in the area to form TG&Y back in 1935, but I don’t think this cutting table is from the 30s or before. It’s made of materials that appear to me to be more from the 60s or 70s.

The previous owners of our shop acquired the shop in the mid-70s, but I don’t know when the TG&Y store closed and they acquired the cutting table. I just know they said it came from the TG&Y store down the street.

We also have an old “ripping table” and three of the measuring meters that were used to cut a nick in the selvage of the fabric so that the measured portion could be ripped from the roll. We don’t use it to measure and cut fabric any longer, but it’s still set up with a meter on it for people to see. (We get a lot of “what’s that?” comments from the younger crowd.)

CD in Oklahoma