View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Shelley

Originally Posted by sandpat
Shelley, I didn't know that was referred to as "faux" trapunto. I took a class from Paula Reid and she taught that technique as "machine trapunto". I guess it doesn't matter, I just know that I like it. It might not be exactly the same thing...does the wool shrink any? Paula emphatically said you MUST use Poly and recommended high loft for the trapunto. I had done some trapunto before the class and used cotton scraps. She told me that if I washed it...the trapunto parts would end up looking like an old ladies bra....you know what I mean....so I haven't washed it..I'm scared to....what do you think?
Well, I don't think wool is supposed to shrink. So I don't thing that would be a problem. Faux trapunto and machine trapunto are probably the same thing. Since I stitched so close on the outside of the trapunto parts, I didn't have to cut the second layer of batting close. In fact, I used squares. You'd never know there are two layers of batting there.

If you wash, and don't want shrinkage, use cold water, then block on something rigid. When I block quilts, I use foam insulation boards.