View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Sadiemae
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clynns
I was diagnosed about 4 years ago. Can't afford the machine. Plus I'm claustrophobic. When they had me use it during the sleep study, they turned it up to 22 with no gradual increase. This made me even more frantic with having something over my face. Also the pressure was so great that it made my lips blow open and I couldn't keep them shut. I've been using generic Ambien for over 5 years now. If I don't, I don't sleep. You have no idea how it affects you mentally when you can't sleep. It's horrible.
There are a lot of new masks out that would help someone who is claustrophobic. There is no way that they should turn up a machine to 22 quickly. My machine is not set quite this high, but even at my level I cannot start out that high. It starts out at 3 or 4 and works up slowly to my pressure level.

If you need a level of 22, please discuss this with your doctor. It may be very dangerous for you to go untreated.

You could also check with the medical supply places in your area. I know that the one I use often has machines that have been turned back in. This could make it much more affordable. There would not be a problem having a used machine because you would purchase new tubing and a new mask. Just and idea...