Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone here with sleep apnea? >

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:55 AM

I had back surgery many years ago and when I was coming out of the anesthetic they asked me if I had been told that I have sleep apnea. Nope never been told that. Didn't think much about it. Went on with recovering from back surgery. The back doctor never said anything to me about it on my return visits. Few years later I had to have neck surgery. A different doctor did that surgery and my family doctor doesn't admit patients to a hospital so I had to go to an admitting doctor to be admitted. After neck surgery they mentioned again that something dropped low when I was coming out of the anesthetic (which I believe was the O2 level) So I asked the doctor that admitted me about it and I had to do the sleep study. That was when I found out I had sleep apnea. Me and the machine fight. I can start out with it on when I go to bed but when I wake up it might not still be on my face. Sometimes I wake up to turn it off and sometimes it wakes me up from not being on my face and I turn it off then. Sometimes I roll over and I feel like I am drowning because water has built up in my mask and when I roll over it doesn't have many places to go. I do have dreams now which I didn't have before. I have tried various masks, the full face, the one that just covers the mouth and nose, and the nostrils one. The mouth and nose is the one I am using now. I am sure I have had the machine for over 10 years and since reading this post I am going to get more information from my previous doctor and see about getting a new machine.
Some mention getting sore throats with out the mask, I get sore throats with it.
At first I didn't have the humidifier part on my cpap machine but a few years ago they added it.
I do think it helps me when it "works" right. I just haven't found the right mix or something. I also, take the generic of ambien.
Thanks for this thread there is a lot of helpful and encouraging words and information being shared on it.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

I use one and its critical that I do. I got used to it out of neccessity,and now Im fairly comfortable with it,except it is hot on my face in the summer.I am overweight,but my dad had severe sleep apnea too,and he weighed 110 pounds soaking wet.So weight may or may not be a factor,it all depends on the individual.Some sleep apnea is caused by "obstruction"(collapse of soft palate issues) ,but there is another type where there is actually a short in the brain that lets you"forget" to breathe for short periods while asleep. You need a study to determine what type you have and what you need.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:36 AM

I was diagnoses with it, but never got used to the machine. Then I fell asleep at the wheel and took out a mailbox and a street sign. So Dr. changed my restless leg syndrome meds to Mirapex. Absolute miracle drug. I get in bed and pull up the covers, elevate my head with 2 pillows, then memorize where the cats are. I wake up about 4 hours later and the cats are usually in the same place, the covers are not messed up. Everything is exactly in the same place. Must use the bathroom and then go back to bed, same routine. Usually I can fall asleep again and get close to 7 hours. I have hemochromatosis, which is iron overload and have to be bled 3-4 times a year. Red Cross won't take my blood as it is loaded with iron.

Bottom line, I don't have sleep apnea, I had restless leg.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:44 AM

I couldn’t get used to the machine. It woke me up with dry throat and coughing fits.....which definitely isn’t restful. I really tried for 6 months and then quit. I was diagnosed with restless legs at the same time. And I generally have to get up during the night to use the bathroom.....so not sure 7 hours straight sleep is in my DNA anyway. I do dream vividly so I must be getting some deep sleep.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 AM

I shared a room with my brother and diagnosed his sleep apnea. Dr. confirmed it and he was happy with his CPAP.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:42 AM

We've both had one for years. I was amazed that they have parts for cpap machines at Amazon. Much cheaper.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:55 PM

My DH diagnosed about 25 yrs ago. He snored so loudly that people could hear it 3 floors away! So I didn't sleep well either--especially because he'd stop breathing and gasp awake and scare us both. CPAP machines sure have changed-- more streamlined, quieter, better and more choice of face masks. He feels so much better (he occasionally will forget it on overnite trips to son's) and his BP, etc show that too. Plus I can sleep too!

For those unhappy or experiencing problems--keep bugging your doc and equipment dealer--there is so much out there to help you. We are saving for a portable one for him when we travel--pretty slick! But I'd highly recommend that you get the So-Clean machine to clean your machine daily. DH was bad about washing his hose, etc weekly, much less daily and struggled with respiratory crud--the So-Clean is simple to use and works wonders.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 PM

My DH has sleep apnea also. He also does not snore anymore. He stopped breathing 117-120 times an hour also. Every time he sat down he would go to sleep. He would also doze off when he was driving. That was the last straw for me. I finally talked to the Dr and told him what was going on. Doc ordered a sleep study and the rest is history. His machine is quiet. The only time he wakes me up is if his mouth comes open...then we are talking "wind tunnel" LOL