Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone here with sleep apnea? >

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:09 AM

My husband has it and has been on a machine for about one month. We have noticed a big improvement. But it does take some time to get use to wearing it all night. Good luck with yours.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:12 AM

Thanks, I will give that a try! I would love to be able to sleep with him again.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:19 AM

My husband and I both have sleep apnea and have been on CPAP for a few years. He uses the nasal pillows and I use a full face mask. It made such a difference in our lives. Before, I wasn't getting ANY sleep due to his loud loud snoring and gasping. A few months after he got his CPAP and started sleeping better, I discovered that I was now the one snoring and gasping. The CPAP has improved the way I feel, and I'm not falling asleep at my desk at work any more. We both use the CPAP every single night, and I even use mine on the rare days that I get to take a nap.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:48 AM

I have been using a CPAP machine for many years now and I can't sleep without it. I won't say I sleep through the night but there are multiple issues here (DH who watches TV half the night and a bladder the size of a ping pong ball) but I do sleep better. Don't remember a lot of weird dreams but if you've been sleep deprived long enough maybe you mind is making up for lost time.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:04 AM

My husband and son have both used the Cpap for years, it has
helped them both tremendously, no snoring now either.....
Old 05-26-2011, 06:15 AM

I have one and use it all the time. I sleep better and have a lot more energy. No do not go a night without it.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:24 AM

I don't know what I would do without my Machine, she goes everywhere with me. My hubby says the noise from the machine is soothing to him. Better than listening to me snore and stop breathing. I have been on the machine for about 15 years and have seen some changes in the equiptment. I just got a new machine and I cannot tell you how quiet it is. Hubby says he does not hear the machine at all. It is automatic and as soon as you put it on it will kick on. I used the nose pillows for the first couple of years. For me they rubbed the inside of my nose to the point of the worst nose bleeds ever. Now use the mask. It has become my addiction. I love my machine.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:29 AM

I was diagnosed nearly a year ago and I must admit it took me time to adjust to my CPAP machine and mask. Now I take a sleep aid (2 tablets; Walmart brand name) before I retire and I sleep like a baby. My machine has been set to give me 10 minutes before I receive full pressure. I am usually asleep within that 10 minute time period. If not, I hit the button (like the snooze button on your alarm clock) and I get an additional 10 minutes.
Give it time and if it is not working for you, check with your doctor or medical supply company to see that it is the right mask for you, and that it is properly fitted to your face. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:38 AM

Husband & I are both on a cpap machine. We both sleep much better with it.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
My DH also has sleep apnea. I used to wake up at night and realize he wasn't breathing and have to shake him to get him to breathe. Very scary stuff. He is doing fine now. But I have developed a severe snoring problem ( my roomies at the last quilt retreat confirmed my DH's comments about my snoring!) and have been exhausted during the day so I go tonight for a sleep study. I'm kind of creeped out about strangers watching me sleep...
First and foremost, I want to say that I've had sleep studies a handful of times over two decades. The settings and selection of personnel are designed to put you at peace of mind. I will hold you in my heart tonight as you go through this test. You will be at a good spot in your life!