Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone here with sleep apnea? >

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 AM

About a year ago I did a sleep study. Found out I quit breathing 53 times an hours, so they wanted me to go on C-PAP. However, being stubborn I declined. About 6 months ago my health became so bad that I reconsidered. I now am on a AUTOMATIC ADJUSTING CPAP machine (just came out)and use it every night. I don't like having to use it, but I must admit it has given me more energy and NO headaches in the mornings. It can be a real contributor to heart failure if you don't use it. I found out the hard way! So listen to your doctor and ask lots of questions...mine didn't explain it fully to me in the beginning, otherwise I would have started right away. I think sometimes they just assume you know certain things. ASK QUESTIONS. If you haven't started and were told you need it...Please start! They are always coming out with new things (I have a new mask just out too)...love it. Safe your life! Your family will thank you!
Claudia
Old 05-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Thanks, he needs to get a machine that is not as noisy. I will pass this on to him!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the information. So sorry about your mom. Tom's evaluation was one of the worst ones they had seen. He loves the C-Pap and from the first night he was amazed at how well he slept and felt. No more falling asleep during the day and better focus.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:54 AM

i have one and i love the 'white noise' it gives. it really helps me sleep better. my only problem is that the mask is symmetrical and when i had a siezure, i really banged up my face bones. now the mask doesn't fit right and never really will. anybody with an irregular face structure will always have little air leaks that are very annoying. i wake up several times during the night having to adjust the mask, but it's still better than snoring all night and waking the neighbors. as for the vivid dreams, i have them also, but mine are actually entertaining. mine are in the category of sleepwalking, where i move my hands as i would if i were awake, like reaching out to give someone something, or to sew. at a certain point in the movement, i wake up and remember exactly what was happening. sometimes my arms are still stretched out to receive something. my nuerologist says that's completely normal. he says that's meds, not necessarily the CPAP.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 AM

I have used a CPAP for about 10 years. Off and on. I went for awhile without using it and I was so tired during the day. I finally got a new machine (quieter) and nasal pillow. Works much better. I can really tell a difference if I don't use it. I also wake up with a sore throat and headache if I don't. If you even THINK you might need one, please go for a sleep study. Most people who snore have sleep apnea. If I could just get DH to go for a study!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:08 AM

i was sleep tested and was told i woke up 60 times an hour. i wore it for about 6 months and i felt the same tired. it seemed to piss the sleep dr off. so he kept the machine. i can not sit still with out going to sleep, i have to keep moving around. then my dr said my thyroid was dead about 2 years ago. i am still tired. but most of the hot flashes are gone now.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

I had no idea I had Sleep Apnea when I was diagnosed. When I had to have a surgery years ago, they left the oxygen on me all night because my surgery was late in the pm. The nurses really freaked out when my oxygen saturation went down to 72 even with the oxygen. It was quite irritating when they kept waking me up. The nurses called the doctor who sent me for my sleep study as soon as I got home. My problem isn't that I stop breathing, but that I can't keep my oxygen saturation up without my CPAP machine.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:16 AM

My husband sleeps with the machine. His is a respironics I think. He loves it. It has changed his life. He wants me to sleep with one. He says he thinks I have this...I do have some of the symptoms but who knows. I do know it has changed his life for the better.

:thumbup:
Old 05-26-2011, 11:30 AM

I have had the machine for 4 years now and can't believe how much it has changed my life. I use it every night and when I should have time to take a nap. My energy level has encrease 100% and I no longer wake up with headaches.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:11 PM

I have sleep apnea and I use my machine every night. I feel so much better. I can't do without it. Its the last thing I do before going to sleep put it one my face. LOL :lol: