Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone here with sleep apnea? >

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Old 05-26-2011, 12:25 PM

You don't realize how many people have this until you read it here, I was diagnosed about one year ago, i fell asleep with my grandson in my car, and he gently woke me up before i hit the median, need i say more, iwas pretified, i called my dr. and told her something was terribly wrong, this was the first itme i heard of this, i hadn't been sleeping for years, plus i hve insomnia i have to use sleeping pills to try at help the insomnia and the cpap for sa.. It does make a differance and you have to stick with it, i was told it took time to get sa and it will take time to treat it, i wish everyone well and please try to use the machine if one doesn't work ask for another machine or mask. Keep bugging them this is your life. God Bless
Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 PM

Have had sleep apnea for 10 years. I seem to sleep fine, and it was an adjustment to get used to that beautiful sleep accessory!
Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 PM

My husband was diagnosed about 15 years ago. He went to the dr because I heard him at night, he'd snore, then gasp, continuously.
He had to spend the night at a sleep center and they said he awoke around 65 times an hour.
What was unusual he was not over weight, in fact a little under then, and when he awoke during sleep, it was not a full awakening, just enough for him to breathe, then the cycle woyuld happen again. Because it was not a full awakening, he functioned normally during the day, just a bit tired.

His doctor had the longest thinnest fingers I've ever seen on a man. He was told they he was only going to laser out a little tissue, because there are problems that occur with taking out too much, so he may have to come back for further surgery, but he never did.
Before this, he had sore throats all the time, and instead of the uvela you see in the back of someone's throat, I saw a wall of tissue.

Around the same time, we talked to a guy that went to school with my sister whose dad died at 45, because he too had undiagnosed sleep apnea
Old 05-26-2011, 02:14 PM

several of you have mentioned nose pillows and i don't know what that is. mine is a full face mask (that's what my dr. calls it). it covers my nose up to the bridge and my mouth down to under the bottom lip. the machine has a humidifier and a heater that allows me to adjust the temperature of the air. it has a filter that gets changed and i only use distilled water. mine leaves red creases in my face running where laugh lines would be. i've never tried the mouth ones that make you look like a hammerhead shark.

so, what is a nose pillow?
Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 PM

My husband has been using a CPAP for over twenty years. It saved his life. I urge you to use it if at all possible.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
several of you have mentioned nose pillows and i don't know what that is. mine is a full face mask (that's what my dr. calls it). it covers my nose up to the bridge and my mouth down to under the bottom lip. the machine has a humidifier and a heater that allows me to adjust the temperature of the air. it has a filter that gets changed and i only use distilled water. mine leaves red creases in my face running where laugh lines would be. i've never tried the mouth ones that make you look like a hammerhead shark.

so, what is a nose pillow?
I was curious, so I googled. This is what I found:

Nasal pillow CPAP masks seal around the base of the nares using a soft sized pillow. Nasal pillow systems are held in place by headgear. They do not seal over your mouth.

It wouldn't work for me because I tend to open my mouth when I sleep.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:37 PM

I have had sleep apnea for serveral years. I was given a Bi-pap machine instead of normal c-pap machine. It has the capability of adding oxygen to it. This sorry to say happened 4 days ago. I now have the oxygen hooked up to it and to myself through out the day. It took a while to get used to the machine several years ago then I would use sometimes and sometimes not. when I would use it I could see the difference I didn't hurt as much could function during the day generally felt better considering everything else that is the matter with. when I got sick to the point of hospitalization last week I was sent home with oxygen to include the bi-pap. The last few nights have been really pleasant ones. I have slept thru the night and I don't feel like I am choking. Good luck on your machine and hope everything works out for you.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:51 PM

My DH has had sleep apnea for many years, and I kept pushing and pushing him to get diagnosed and get the machine. He finally did 2 years ago (after me nagging & nagging!!), and his health has improved, as well as his MOOD!!! He was always so grumpy because he was always exhausted!!

He sleeps very soundly now, and the machine does not bother me at all. I am a sound sleeper.

If your DH has apnea and doesn't have a machine, get them to try it at least! You'll both be glad he did!!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:16 PM

I've had the Cpap for a couple of years--had SO MUCH trouble sleeping before, now I sleep like a rock! Thankfully, I didn't have alot of trouble getting used to it; I know many do.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:17 PM

I have it also but haven't gotten the machine yet. Have wondered if machine did help that much or not????????