Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sleep Apnea. Newly diagnosed >

Sleep Apnea. Newly diagnosed

Sleep Apnea. Newly diagnosed

Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 AM

Hi. Anyone have any lessons learned regarding experience with CPAP machine?
Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Here is another thread started today on Sleep Apnea.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-125668-1.htm
Old 05-25-2011, 12:17 PM

My husband just recently got his. When he went in for his followup appointment, a rep from the medical equipment company happened to be in the building. He was having a few problems with the mask fitting correctly, so they fitted him with another one, a different type, sort of a gel thing. As it turned out, that happened to be the last day he could have exchanged it. This mask works a lot better for him. So just be sure to keep any follow-up appointments, and if your equipment doesn't work quite right, be sure to tell them. My husband no longer snores (a huge blessing for me!) and even though he was having absolutely no problems sleeping before, he says he has more energy later in the evening. He also went from 60-80 episodes a night to a half an episode per night (15 over a 30 day span). Evidently the machine keeps track and it must wirelessly transmit the information. Which I find just a little offputting!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:45 PM

I have a sleep machine since the beginning of the year and I love it. My husband has one for several years now and mine is much nicer than his older one. I sleep like a baby and the only downside I've found is that I wake up with "grooves" on my face from the mask.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:11 PM

I was diagnosed three years ago......could not get use to the machine at all, couldn't sleep no mater what, thought it was going to suffocate me......tried 4 different masks that did not help either-
Dr finally said it was a mild case, then he said I had COPD. Don't know how much I believe in Dr's anymore....I have more to say on this but will keep that to myself.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ladyshuffler
I was diagnosed three years ago......could not get use to the machine at all, couldn't sleep no mater what, thought it was going to suffocate me......tried 4 different masks that did not help either-
Dr finally said it was a mild case, then he said I had COPD. Don't know how much I believe in Dr's anymore....I have more to say on this but will keep that to myself.
I was diagnosed about 7 years ago. I had a mask that only covered my nose to start with and that was hopeless for me. I have been much more comfortable with a larger mask that covers my nose and mouth - the only drawback is that I often tend to sleep with my mouth open and wake up with an extremely dry mouth.

I also had an issue with the feeling that I wasn't getting enough air. The technician worked with me and gradually increased the pressure until I was comfortable with it. He said that the pressure recommended by hospital staff is often not enough for the patient. If you feel it isn't enough, you are likely not to wear it so please persevere and give them feedback with your issues.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by ladyshuffler
I was diagnosed about 7 years ago. I had a mask that only covered my nose to start with and that was hopeless for me. I have been much more comfortable with a larger mask that covers my nose and mouth - the only drawback is that I often tend to sleep with my mouth open and wake up with an extremely dry mouth.

I also had an issue with the feeling that I wasn't getting enough air. The technician worked with me and gradually increased the pressure until I was comfortable with it. He said that the pressure recommended by hospital staff is often not enough for the patient. If you feel it isn't enough, you are likely not to wear it so please persevere and give them feedback with your issues.
Do you have the humidifier on your machine? It does help with dry mouth issues.
My machine is also set to start out at really low pressure and then work up to my maximum. I have a really high pressure number and need it lower when I first put it on.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:10 PM

i was diagnosed about 8 years ago and the doc said mine was severe enough that the cpap would not work for me. we did immediate surgery and they removed that thing (uvula?) in the back of my throat. i stopped stopping breathing at night, but i still snore as bad as ever. i found out since that if i ever have problems again a cpap wont be an option since i've had the surgery. i think if i had to do it over i would try the cpap before agreeing to the surgury.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:52 PM

I want to thank all of you for your information! It is helpful!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:30 PM

I don't have sleep apnea per se' having asthma combined with certain meds I don't breath deep enuf and my oxygen level bottoms. I wear oxygen at night. My bestie had apnea ( had wt loss surg and lost wt no apnea) the drs told us both do not lie on your back to sleep! Lie on ur
Side.