Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Treasureit
Isn't that FMQ? If I use my walking foot I would be turning, turning turning. But I love her design!
Diane's scale for each curve is 1/4"-3/8" and , yes, she does it with FMQ.

But you don't have to. Your scale is much larger than hers. What are those block sizes? >2", right?

Just like you made curves within the block, you can follow the same path through a whole row/column, and then come back the other way.

eta:
I see you just posted the "route" that you followed.
Perfect.

So let's say you mark all the blocks accordingly, if that makes you more comfortable.

You would follow the purple line from the bottom left corner to the top right corner of the first block (just like in your pic), and then continue to the TOP left corner of the second block instead of completing the loop back to where you began.

You would snake your way up all the blocks. Now THEN you turn the quilt around, and go back down. You eliminated all the turning within each block.

Which is how Diane does with FMQ, but can also be done with a walking foot on a larger scale.

I just tried it on a piece of paper with 2" grids to see how it works.
You just have to get a feel for when you shift so the shapes will have consistent sizes and placements.
Which you were doing anyway. It takes a few blocks to get it right. And, again, if you're drawing out your route on the fabric, it will make it even easier.

And I agree it does make it look a lot like hand stitching in the photo. ;-) Could be the combo of the threads up top and in your bobbin. Very cool effect.