View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Delilah

Originally Posted by luv2so
I'm working on my first ever quilt. Trying to do some free motion but my fabrics don't seem to move freely. Feed dogs are down, have quilting foot on, but it seems to be jerky movements.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to put something under the backing? I've beens sewing for over 50 years and this is my first attempt at a quilt. I love all the quilts you ladies, and gentlemen, make. You've all inspired me, just need some help on how to make the fabric move more smoothly.

I hope I explained it so you can understand my problem! I'm so new at this quilting stuff.

Thank you!
Diana
I only read half the reponses so don't know if all your questions are answered. 1) Dump the walking foot and get a darning foot. 2) You can get the gloves OR try putting a drop or two of glycerin on your finger tips. That will give your hands all the tackiness needed without the inconvenience of the gloves (try it people, it works great!). 3) Make sure to put the pressure foot down or you'll get bird nests on the back. If you experience skipped stitches on the front then you need to put a bit more pressure on the quilt so it doesn't "lift" off the pressure plate so much. 4) The teflon sliders work great, also. Good luck!