View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by shnnn
k3n -- I saw in another thread you talking about applique using fusible batting (don't remember which one now). I have a couple questions...

Do you batt clear to the edges of your design?
How do you attach the finished piece/finish the edges?
I did this with the seagull on my Flying High wallhanging - I cut the seagull shape from the fusible batt, appliqued/FMQd all the feathers in place then sewed him by hand with a blind stitch to the background piece, though it could probably have been done on the machine with a zig zag but sometimes I like to do stuff by hand! :wink: I also did it with my wall hanging Ammonite - on that I pieced the ammonite itself raw edges overlapping, then couched over the raw edges onto the fusible batt by zig zagging over decorative yarn. I also couched all around the edge of the ammonite itself with a couple of thicknesses of yarn - the seagull's edges were left raw, for a wall hanging that won't be washed, that's not a problem. I don't see any reason why this technique wouldn't work with whole pieces to give a 3D effect to the applique. Perhaps a very close zig zag round the raw edge on a piece destined to be washed? I'd do a little sample with scraps and put it through the wash to see what happened if it were me. Bear in mind though that the bond between the fabric and the fusible batt (I used Hobbs BTW) is not as strong as with a fusible web such as Steam a Seam so you have to be gentle with the piece until it's sewn in place. :-D Good luck - I'm intrigued as to what you're up to!

Here's the seagull with the 'feathers' laid on the fusible batting shape before I sewed them down - I don't know if it's any use but it's the only WIP pic I took!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204715[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204709.jpe