Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: OBW with a bowtie??

My husband asked me to make him a quilt with a Chevy bowtie on it... reading through the tutes on OBW yesterday I got a brilliant idea :roll: I decided to use OBW as a background to a solid center bowtie. I'm just not sure if I'm going to piece it in - or applique it on. The 60* angles are perfect. And looking at the pieces up on my wall I think I can take out a triangle here and there to get the angled points on my bowtie, and add them in to get the 90* corners. What do brilliant minds say?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shnnn
    My husband asked me to make him a quilt with a Chevy bowtie on it... reading through the tutes on OBW yesterday I got a brilliant idea :roll: I decided to use OBW as a background to a solid center bowtie. I'm just not sure if I'm going to piece it in - or applique it on. The 60* angles are perfect. And looking at the pieces up on my wall I think I can take out a triangle here and there to get the angled points on my bowtie, and add them in to get the 90* corners. What do brilliant minds say?
    Don't know if I've got a 'brilliant mind' but I DO have lots of OBW experience and I say go for it! :-D

Blog Entries
    I can't wait to see it! Brilliant idea :D:D:D

I've already started to OBW part -- but I ran out of fabric already -- I bought what Walmart had left thinking I would try it out and see if I liked it and just find some online if I liked it.... well I like it -- he likes it -- and the most I have found online so far is 1 fat quarter in this color way -- may have to add another color, or just be patient and see if they get some more :lol: (yah right, patient)

But I am loving the OBW -- I am struggling really hard to convince myself to work on one of my UFOs instead of starting another while I decide what to do about the fabric

You are going to have to find some special fabric so the bow tie will be seen. Maybe something like silver lame (I know not quilting friendly). The OBW are so busy.

Good luck!

I'm thinking solids for the bowtie - black with a white edge on the left and top sides to make it look dimensional maybe. If I put my OBW block opposite that so the dark corner of the bowtie is on the light side of the OBW - I'm hoping there will be enough contrast for it to stand out

I found some fabric!! Now it's hurry up and wait time....

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Regarding the busy-ness - this is applique over an OBW and it shows up pretty well, I think partly because the OBW fabric is monochrome and partly because the applique is a solid. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-92716-1.htm I haven;t seen your OBW fabric but a solid should contrast enough to stand out.

That is gorgeous k3n!!! Here is what I have so far... Looking at the picture I'm wondering about a solid blue...
    Attached Images Attached Images

k3n
    Blog Entries
    That is gorgeous k3n!!! Here is what I have so far... Looking at the picture I'm wondering about a solid blue...
    That is wonderful fabric - a blue would really stand out a treat! :-D

Blog Entries
    sounds like a nifty pattern, be sure to share when you get it put together.

k3n -- I saw in another thread you talking about applique using fusible batting (don't remember which one now). I have a couple questions...

Do you batt clear to the edges of your design?
    How do you attach the finished piece/finish the edges?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    k3n -- I saw in another thread you talking about applique using fusible batting (don't remember which one now). I have a couple questions...

Do you batt clear to the edges of your design?
    How do you attach the finished piece/finish the edges?
    I did this with the seagull on my Flying High wallhanging - I cut the seagull shape from the fusible batt, appliqued/FMQd all the feathers in place then sewed him by hand with a blind stitch to the background piece, though it could probably have been done on the machine with a zig zag but sometimes I like to do stuff by hand! :wink: I also did it with my wall hanging Ammonite - on that I pieced the ammonite itself raw edges overlapping, then couched over the raw edges onto the fusible batt by zig zagging over decorative yarn. I also couched all around the edge of the ammonite itself with a couple of thicknesses of yarn - the seagull's edges were left raw, for a wall hanging that won't be washed, that's not a problem. I don't see any reason why this technique wouldn't work with whole pieces to give a 3D effect to the applique. Perhaps a very close zig zag round the raw edge on a piece destined to be washed? I'd do a little sample with scraps and put it through the wash to see what happened if it were me. Bear in mind though that the bond between the fabric and the fusible batt (I used Hobbs BTW) is not as strong as with a fusible web such as Steam a Seam so you have to be gentle with the piece until it's sewn in place. :-D Good luck - I'm intrigued as to what you're up to!

Here's the seagull with the 'feathers' laid on the fusible batting shape before I sewed them down - I don't know if it's any use but it's the only WIP pic I took!
    Name:  Attachment-204709.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  42.2 KB

I'm just kind of winging it. I got the fabric for the obw background - but spent all weekend sewing another obw for my daughter -- so with hubby and the kids home for 3 days and me sewing instead of picking up behind everyone - my house is demolished. The plan is to finish cleaning up the house(if I can get away from my computer) then cut out the rest of his fabric. While I'm sewing those I'm hoping something clicks and I know how I want to do the bowtie. And, at some point I need to sit and draw it out on PAPER! (gasp) so I can get it all proportionate (you'd think with a symbol that had been around for 100 years or so there would be someone who had measured and come up with the destructions - or last time I sat and drew one I should have measured and saved my own hmm)
    edit: duh -- print a picture and measure

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Ha! Know those feelings so well - ALL of them! Good luck!

So, here is my concept -- I think I'm going to applique it on after quilting so it sets apart better. And I'm definately going to need to scale it again, and rearrange hexes when I finish sewing together the other 72 hexes . :shock:

I don't think I'm going to batt the bowtie since I don't want to quilt the inside of it - unless I can find a batting with a really wide quilting distance and catch it in a zig-zag when appliqueing? Or what about quilting batting to a piece of muslin then making a little pillow out of the bowtie before attaching it?
    Attached Images Attached Images