Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OBW with a bowtie?? >

OBW with a bowtie??

OBW with a bowtie??

Old 05-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

sounds like a nifty pattern, be sure to share when you get it put together.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:18 AM

k3n -- I saw in another thread you talking about applique using fusible batting (don't remember which one now). I have a couple questions...

Do you batt clear to the edges of your design?
How do you attach the finished piece/finish the edges?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by shnnn
k3n -- I saw in another thread you talking about applique using fusible batting (don't remember which one now). I have a couple questions...

Do you batt clear to the edges of your design?
How do you attach the finished piece/finish the edges?
I did this with the seagull on my Flying High wallhanging - I cut the seagull shape from the fusible batt, appliqued/FMQd all the feathers in place then sewed him by hand with a blind stitch to the background piece, though it could probably have been done on the machine with a zig zag but sometimes I like to do stuff by hand! :wink: I also did it with my wall hanging Ammonite - on that I pieced the ammonite itself raw edges overlapping, then couched over the raw edges onto the fusible batt by zig zagging over decorative yarn. I also couched all around the edge of the ammonite itself with a couple of thicknesses of yarn - the seagull's edges were left raw, for a wall hanging that won't be washed, that's not a problem. I don't see any reason why this technique wouldn't work with whole pieces to give a 3D effect to the applique. Perhaps a very close zig zag round the raw edge on a piece destined to be washed? I'd do a little sample with scraps and put it through the wash to see what happened if it were me. Bear in mind though that the bond between the fabric and the fusible batt (I used Hobbs BTW) is not as strong as with a fusible web such as Steam a Seam so you have to be gentle with the piece until it's sewn in place. :-D Good luck - I'm intrigued as to what you're up to!

Here's the seagull with the 'feathers' laid on the fusible batting shape before I sewed them down - I don't know if it's any use but it's the only WIP pic I took!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204715[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204709.jpe  
Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 AM

I'm just kind of winging it. I got the fabric for the obw background - but spent all weekend sewing another obw for my daughter -- so with hubby and the kids home for 3 days and me sewing instead of picking up behind everyone - my house is demolished. The plan is to finish cleaning up the house(if I can get away from my computer) then cut out the rest of his fabric. While I'm sewing those I'm hoping something clicks and I know how I want to do the bowtie. And, at some point I need to sit and draw it out on PAPER! (gasp) so I can get it all proportionate (you'd think with a symbol that had been around for 100 years or so there would be someone who had measured and come up with the destructions - or last time I sat and drew one I should have measured and saved my own hmm)
edit: duh -- print a picture and measure
Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Ha! Know those feelings so well - ALL of them! Good luck!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:46 PM

So, here is my concept -- I think I'm going to applique it on after quilting so it sets apart better. And I'm definately going to need to scale it again, and rearrange hexes when I finish sewing together the other 72 hexes . :shock:

I don't think I'm going to batt the bowtie since I don't want to quilt the inside of it - unless I can find a batting with a really wide quilting distance and catch it in a zig-zag when appliqueing? Or what about quilting batting to a piece of muslin then making a little pillow out of the bowtie before attaching it?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206668.jpe