View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 05:00 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

you can actually print on any fabric- as long as you prepare it for dyeing FIRST by pre=washing with detergent- no fabric softeners or any other additives. if you use bubble jet set follow the instructions--
then after you print your label you need to set it aside to *cure* - let the ink dry-adhere to the fibers...then you have to heat set it= then you have to rinse it in cold water- if your label was not prepared properly it all washes out- it also makes a difference if you use quality (expensive) name brand inks---or if you use the generic- refillables (which are water soluble and will ALWAYS wash right out)
if planning to write your own labels you should use a Micron Pigma pen- they are archival quality- acid free- permenent- do not bleed- do not fade....
available in craft/hobbie shops, quilt shops, and paint/art supply stores (about $3 a pen...varies of course.

i have printed labels on all kinds of fabrics with much success- but i always take the time to do the prep work...and sometimes (if there is alot of color to my label) i will set it aside to cure and heat set it every day for a week before i rinse it- i do not know if it matters at all- but it makes me feel better to take my time and make sure it will last.