Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappearing Quilt Label >

Disappearing Quilt Label

Disappearing Quilt Label

Old 05-31-2011, 06:29 AM

Help! Finished the quilt, made label printed on inkjet printer, applied label, sent to LAQ, received it back, did handwork on binding, washed it......and the printing on the label was gone! Label was quilted in, so I've had to improvise and put another label over top. Some days it doesn't pay to touch anything! I thought I was doing it all the same way I've done in the past. Don't know what happened. Anyone ever face this problem???
Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 AM

Did you remember to heat-set the label before adding it? It's easy to miss a step....
Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by neeng
Did you remember to heat-set the label before adding it? It's easy to miss a step....
Well, I sure thought I did -- but my old brain/memory isn't what it once was. That's the first thing I thought of also.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:57 AM

I've had the label lettering fade nearly completely off on a recent baby quilt I made.
I was worried that some fabric might bleed so I added Tide Stain Release.. bad idea.
AnyhOO..
I had to take my Pigma pen and go over and over the lettering on the label.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:04 AM

You can't heat set printer ink. You have to print on fabric either treated with Bubble Jet Set or fabric sheets made to be printed on.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:39 PM

I guess I should clarify that I used the pen for the original writing, not the printer..
Regardless, it still faded and had to be repaired!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
You can't heat set printer ink. You have to print on fabric either treated with Bubble Jet Set or fabric sheets made to be printed on.
Ooookay...but when I bought the sheets made to be printed on, the instructions included a heat-setting step, then washing before incorporation. Seemed to work so far.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by neeng
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Ooookay...but when I bought the sheets made to be printed on, the instructions included a heat-setting step, then washing before incorporation. Seemed to work so far.
You can't just print on any fabric though and heat set printer ink. If the fabric isn't chemically treated it won't heat set.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

you can actually print on any fabric- as long as you prepare it for dyeing FIRST by pre=washing with detergent- no fabric softeners or any other additives. if you use bubble jet set follow the instructions--
then after you print your label you need to set it aside to *cure* - let the ink dry-adhere to the fibers...then you have to heat set it= then you have to rinse it in cold water- if your label was not prepared properly it all washes out- it also makes a difference if you use quality (expensive) name brand inks---or if you use the generic- refillables (which are water soluble and will ALWAYS wash right out)
if planning to write your own labels you should use a Micron Pigma pen- they are archival quality- acid free- permenent- do not bleed- do not fade....
available in craft/hobbie shops, quilt shops, and paint/art supply stores (about $3 a pen...varies of course.

i have printed labels on all kinds of fabrics with much success- but i always take the time to do the prep work...and sometimes (if there is alot of color to my label) i will set it aside to cure and heat set it every day for a week before i rinse it- i do not know if it matters at all- but it makes me feel better to take my time and make sure it will last.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:25 AM

Ditto what ckcowl said...every step of it. Curing is a key step that isn't mentioned often enough here. Curing lets the printer inks become part of the fabric fibers and not just sit on top of them...kind of like a set-in stain. :lol: