View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 06:31 AM
pittsburgpam

You all make me smile even more. My kids would probably say, "That's nice, mom." I so much appreciate all of you, to show things to people who actually get how much time and effort goes into making even the simplest looking design and to look at all of your works.

Cassie... That was a pretty hard one, the Double Wedding Ring, to do on your first quilt and you were brave to give it a try. I have never done one basically because I am not thrilled with sewing curves like I have before on a New York Beauty and fans There are so many patterns out there that are easy to sew and look great. It sounds so simple, and I know it's not, but the most important thing is to sew an exact 1/4" seam. Get a 1/4" foot if you don't have one, it can be the best investment in getting good results. Always, always, press your pieces after every seam so that they are sharp and crisp. I rarely use steam in pressing, I don't think I used it anywhere on this quilt except some in the center star. I find that it is way too easy to get your pieces skewed out of shape. I use a very hot iron. Another good investment is a padded squaring and blocking board, I used it quite a lot on the small stars with starch. Just keep at it and each one you do will teach you something that you will take to the next one, and the next, and the next.