View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 06:33 PM
skippitydodahquilts

Originally Posted by pjemark
Quilting means to me- My mom had just got into quilting when she found out she had cancer. Funny thing is - she would have loved for me to get into the quilting- but i was busy raising a family and i was into scrapbooking at the time- then when she found out that she had cancer- we were both too busy to think about quilting- she was too busy trying to stay alive and i was too busy trying to keep my head above water while missing work- keeping up with the kids and going to the chemo etc with her. As it ended up- my mom passed away at the young age of 64. My aunt connie graciously bought her bernina and entire sewing room and she gave me the bernina. I thought- oh crap- i have been given this expensive sewing machine and now i have to use it . I mean, i always loved to sew ever since i learned to sew on my grandma's treadle- but life has a way of getting in the way of selfish hobbies while you are raising children. I took the machine and i put it in my office. I didn't want it at home because we have furbabies- actually grandfurbabies- and i knew that if it was at home i wouldn't let myself sew because the house wasn't clean enough or i had other things i should be doing. so i put it in my office-and I have to tell you- i absolutly adore my bernina- i adore the time i have to sew- and I adore my aunt connie for buying it for me. every time i sew on it i feel close to mom and every time i sew on it i remember how lucky i am to have an aunt connie

That is absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing :).