Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does quilting mean to you? >

What does quilting mean to you?

What does quilting mean to you?

Old 06-04-2011, 09:33 PM

The ways you all have expressed what I feel too is wonderful. For me it is the feeling I get when i see there is a cherry and whipped cream on my ice-cream. The atmosphere of the penny candy shop in 1956 when I could choose from all the treats in the mahogany framed glass counter. How I felt this morning when 3 pink roses were blooming , not there yesterday, and I walked over and put my nose into the big petals and smelled perfume. I love the feel of fabric, I touch it before I really 'see' it. I love the prints and lines and colors that make each one unique. It's like someone miles away created an experience and I receive it like a gift. I delight in the geometric balance of patterns, engineering and drafting just make me want to say Wow. I like putting colors together, like a chemist likes to see what happens --.that aha!!! moment when they are so right together. I like books with directions that lead me down a path one line at a time so I say ' I see what you are doing:)'. People amaze me when they make a quilt and it is so personal and they share that with me and you. It's like opening a kitchen window and calling out "Come in here. I want you to
be with me for a while" . I want to do that for others. I like to see something that wasn't become something that is. Like there wasn't a geisha kimono and now there it is on my quilt. Today I saw a wall hanging with a bee the size of a cantaloup and multi colored wings a foot wide on either side heading down into a bullseye on a daisy center the size of a microwave. See, words cannot express what the actual quilt could, wimsy, movement, color, spaciality, fun. Making a quilt is making happiness in a way unique to the endeavor. I've often thought God must be a quilter because He thought up hummingbirds. One quilter thinks up a city with rectangular parts, another swirls batiques into pomegranates. I want to take my thoughts and make a quilt that someone will enjoy as I did the city and the pomegranates and I want to feel the joy as I make it happen. ...I didn't know I had so much to say, sorry for being long winded.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:16 AM

Zoeytoo... beautifully put!! I love what you said about chemists... while teaching HS science for many years, my colleagues and I would often find ourselves "playing" after school to "see what happens when..." So often the phrase, "well, look at that!!"... I was reminded of that... but I can hear myself saying that when I see a quilt with fabrics I would never have put together, or a pattern I never would have or could have thought up...
Loved your long windedness!!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by running1
Zoeytoo... beautifully put!! I love what you said about chemists... while teaching HS science for many years, my colleagues and I would often find ourselves "playing" after school to "see what happens when..." So often the phrase, "well, look at that!!"... I was reminded of that... but I can hear myself saying that when I see a quilt with fabrics I would never have put together, or a pattern I never would have or could have thought up...
Loved your long windedness!!
Thaaaaaaaank you. I like when you read my contribution and find a part you relate to. Nice to know I share your feelings too. None of my dear friends are into my pleasures, knit, crochet, quilt, etc. But we go to movies, dinner,
sports, etc. Here I can be me and you know how I feel. I went to Cape Cod and you can guess what I was thinking as we site saw " this would be a good quilt pattern" or "where are the quilt stores" but they were thinking "where is
the beach" or "where are the clothing shops" now if I went there with you or
the forum members we would be on the "quilt wave length". Time to get food for hungry family. Talk to you later I hope. I know how to do this. It's contacting personal reponsers I can't do I think.I tried to go to a book site looking for tesselations and got a talk group who were insulting one another
big time and I could not get deleted cause they said problem try later. Here people are so nice, there they like to fight. Too bad for them I think. By now.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 PM

I love the creativity of it, I don't always follow the pattern exact. I love that I can do my Quilt from beginning to end. I love the challenge of making my own patterns and designs. And i love to help newbees with their projects. I love it ,when "They Get It." It's my Mental thearopy.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 AM

Pleasure and satisfaction
Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 AM

For me it began as a hobby (after admiring so many beautiful quilts) but now I'd have to say it is a way to pay back the world for all the incredible blessings I've had. After the first about 40 quilts I now mostly make quilts for raffling (trips/projects my grandkids are involved in), donations for churches and schools to auction off, or special projects for schools.... I made a USA quilt with every state a different fabric so a choir school would have a place to put state decals of those they had performed in! I made quilts for Japan and wish my commitment load was smaller so I could make quilts for the tornado areas.

Oh, did I mention it is an addition? I'm trying to walk quickly past fabric shops; my stash runneth over.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:06 AM

for me, it's something I can't help...it just flows out of me. In years past, I'd judge the quality of a date by how many quilts I would design during the date! Now, it's therapy, love, avocation, passion, the ability to create beauty. I work as a forensic psychologist with juvenile delinquents, parents who have abused and/or neglected their children. It's a respite. It's time to myself. It's a way to give back to others. I'm sure there's more about what quilting is to me, but that's a pretty good start
Old 06-09-2011, 08:09 AM

I'm in my own little world, nothing else matters. So relaxing and always awesome to see the results, good or bad!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by nab
Quilting is my time. No one bothers me when I am quilting. I must say I enjoy time alone. I have a family, friends, and a very special dh, but sometimes I just need time alone. Quilting gives that to me. I love fabric; I love cutting it up and putting it back together; I love the feeling of accomplishment; I love the feeling of giving. What more can you want from life.
couldn't have put it into better words if i tried!